The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
sKiZo
Brap
sailor
Zimmer64
corndog71
arledgsc
TN Allen
11 posters

Horn Speakers

Maintarget
    Maintarget

Horn Speakers - Page 2 Empty Re: Horn Speakers

Post by Maintarget Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Brap, I am not familiar with the acronym "SDFR" please enlighten me,
    Thanks
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue May 06, 2014 8:17 am

Sorry - Single Driver Full Range. Lowther and Fostex come to mind initially. Basically a full range speaker that is used in a folded horn enclosure. The "horn" extends the bass response. For $400 you can get a pretty nice kit from Madisound. BK-12 is the model and the Fostex Driver they use has very nice numbers.
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Tue May 06, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm in the process of building Frugal-Horn 3 speakers, which will use the full-rage Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 driver.  The speakers are a horn/transmission line hybrid and are available as a kit for people with limited woodworking skills like myself.

I should be finished in a few days. (these are NOT my pics)

Horn Speakers - Page 2 FH-Mk3-comp

Here's what they look like when being built:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/203264-frugel-horn-mk3-flat-pak-mock-assembly-instructions.html
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue May 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Real sweet. I'll place pictures up of my Fostex BK-12's once the stain dries!!!
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:02 am

How did the Frugal-horns work out?
    Brap
    Brap

Horn Speakers - Page 2 Empty Horn speakers

Post by Brap Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:06 am

The Fostex BK-12 ended up coming out pretty nice. I broke them in for a few hours and then shipped them to my sister in Boston area since her only system was a Bose (Ugh!) wave. She is a music teacher too!. Anyway, coupled that with the GLOW amp1 which I purchased a few years ago and the system sounds real nice. In her area there are many nice classical FM stations and she has that on daily as background music so ended up getting her a nice tuner Music hall T25.2. Nice piece. After about 100 hours she claims the low end is opening up more. Soundstage is very nice - helps that these are placed in front of a bay window too. I'll download some pics from my camera soon. All in all for the price tag -- nice package and for entry level speaker building a good kit. The driver is excellent.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:33 pm

I am also very eager to learn how the Frugal Horn FH3 project worked out, as i was planning on building a couple of pairs.
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 am

The FH3 project turned out great. I have not gone around to refinishing the speakers yet, so they remain in their baltic birch plywood state.

The kit went together extremely easily, so that was nice experience for a complete novice with no woodworking sills.

They sound great and produce a nice clear image. The midrange and upper register are wonderful, especially reproducing vocals.
    I chose the Markaudio Alpair 7.3En drivers and they are pretty revealing. I listened to a bad recording, and you could really tell that it was a bad recording. I don't listen to really heavy rock with lots of bass, so these were a logical choice for me.

I had to play with room placement a bit and adjusting the amount of stuffing in the baffle to get it to where they sound best in the odd-shaped room where I listen.
    I say give it a shot!
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks for the report Collin. I'd like to build a pair for the office. Maybe also a pair for my son.

I'm curious to know how the stuffing alters the sound? I never experimented with doing this with my Saburos, and maybe I should have.
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 am

I set up the pair I built from scrap pine, these are not finished yet. I used the Tang Band W5-1611SAF-04 drivers. The sound was passable, the bass is a nice natural sound, but I wanted a little more high range due to compromised hearing. I've temporarily added a Vifa OC25SC65-04 in some waveguides I mill. The resistance is mis-matched between the drivers, but the sound is much more to my liking. I'll try stuffing soon.

I think these will produce a pleasant sound when finished and with an appropriate crossover circuit, they certainly are quite good considering the TB drivers are $50/.

Here is a Flickr link for a photo of the Frugal-Horn with the waveguide: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68227271@N04/15252234995/

Last edited by TN Allen on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Flickr link)
    colin86325

Post by colin86325 Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Here's an article that describes the effects of manipulating the internal damping. It's pretty much what I have found as well.
    http://hifipig.com/electricbeach-frugel3-loudspeaker/
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I also meant to add that I think the Frugal-horns will be pleasantly compatible with the ST 35 amp I built a few years ago. They seem a natural combination.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm