The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Share

    Gregg R.

    Posts : 80
    Join date : 2014-02-20
    Age : 71
    Location : Land of 11,842 Lakes

    WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by Gregg R. on Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 pm

    I recently replaced the Sovtek 5AR4 in my VTA ST-70 with a Weber solid-state WZ-68. I clearly heard a difference, better focus and more solid bass. The 5AR4 did sound more "tubelike," however, in the sense of a more vague and "warmer" presentation. The Weber looks a lot better, however.

    See "Building a Bob Latino ST-70" in the photo section. Thanks for looking.

    Gregg R.

    GP49

    Posts : 718
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by GP49 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am

    Gregg R. wrote:I recently replaced the Sovtek 5AR4 in my VTA ST-70 with a Weber solid-state WZ-68. I clearly heard a difference, better focus and more solid bass. The 5AR4 did sound more "tubelike," however, in the sense of a more vague and "warmer" presentation.

    The higher DC voltage and firmer regulation (from lower internal resistance) of the WZ-68 would explain both. Even in my amps, modified from the Mark II and with about six times the storage capacitance in the power supply, I can hear that.

    The difference is apparently factual. Preference, however, is often a matter of opinion!

    arledgsc

    Posts : 330
    Join date : 2012-11-30
    Location : SF Bay CA

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by arledgsc on Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 pm

    The WZ68 mimics two GZ34s in parallel so more readily available current and less voltage drop.  Plus you are saving about 20W of power not heating the rectifier cathode.  It is a matter of taste but I definitely prefer the WZ68 in unregulated power supplies for the qualities you mention.

    corndog71

    Posts : 444
    Join date : 2013-03-19
    Location : It can get windy here

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by corndog71 on Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm

    I didn't even bother with tube rectifiers for my ST120. Just not worth the expense in my opinion.

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by MontanaWay on Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 pm

    corndog71 wrote:I didn't even bother with tube rectifiers for my ST120.  Just not worth the expense in my opinion.

    I have switched to the Weber's on my ST70, will do so for my ST120 build and all future builds as well.
    Can't beat the price and reliability. Sure, they don't glow, but I think they look ok.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by deepee99 on Sun May 11, 2014 6:48 pm

    MontanaWay wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:I didn't even bother with tube rectifiers for my ST120.  Just not worth the expense in my opinion.

    I have switched to the Weber's on my ST70, will do so for my ST120 build and all future builds as well.
    Can't beat the price and reliability. Sure, they don't glow, but I think they look ok.

    Montana, the Webers have been working fine in my M-125s for quite awhile now. It depends on your speaker load: if you're down below 4 ohms they can't take the strain but at 6 ohms they take it all in stride.
    Just for giggles (after you've won the lottery) find a NOS pair of GZ-33 Mullards. They are b-a-a-a-a-d. Nil the bias out clockwise before you stick them in, just as you would new out puts. They're tough, light up like the Eiffel Tower, and they really impress chicks. Oh, and they sound good, too.
    But what would I know? I'm just a Bozo on this Bus.

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by MontanaWay on Sun May 11, 2014 7:16 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:I didn't even bother with tube rectifiers for my ST120.  Just not worth the expense in my opinion.

    I have switched to the Weber's on my ST70, will do so for my ST120 build and all future builds as well.
    Can't beat the price and reliability. Sure, they don't glow, but I think they look ok.

    Montana, the Webers have been working fine in my M-125s for quite awhile now. It depends on your speaker load: if you're down below 4 ohms they can't take the strain but at 6 ohms they take it all in stride.
    Just for giggles (after you've won the lottery) find a NOS pair of GZ-33 Mullards. They are b-a-a-a-a-d. Nil the bias out clockwise before you stick them in, just as you would new out puts. They're tough, light up like the Eiffel Tower, and they really impress chicks. Oh, and they sound good, too.
    But what would I know? I'm just a Bozo on this Bus.

    well you better buy me a dozen or so lottery tickets then...I might even give you a NOS GZ-33 when I win it  Razz 

    maz

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2013-12-30

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by maz on Tue May 20, 2014 11:14 am

    Gregg R. wrote:I recently replaced the Sovtek 5AR4 in my VTA ST-70 with a Weber solid-state WZ-68. I clearly heard a difference, better focus and more solid bass. The 5AR4 did sound more "tubelike," however, in the sense of a more vague and "warmer" presentation. The Weber looks a lot better, however.

    See "Building a Bob Latino ST-70" in the photo section. Thanks for looking.

    Gregg R.
    I will second this. I had replaced a new 5AR4 with a weber copper cap and big difference. Things really tightened up and sounded 'solid'.
    I think that the weber unit should be standard equipment.

    Sponsored content

    Re: WZ-68 rectifier vs. tube rectification

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:35 am


      Current date/time is Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:35 am