The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

interesting find on eBay

interesting find on eBay

Post by Guest on Sun May 18, 2014 11:06 pm

so I found this really cool looking tube FM radio on eBay, and Akay.
    It is supposed to work 100%, got it for a steal. If it does indeed work, I'll do a cleanup etc and it will make a cool addition to my tube stereo setup!

daveshel

Re: interesting find on eBay

Post by daveshel on Mon May 19, 2014 12:40 am

Nice. Looks cool.

GP49

Post by GP49 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Neat.  "ARKAY" was "Radio Kits, Inc." which marketed a wide variety of electronic kits in competition to Heath, Dynaco and Knight-Kit (Allied) in the 1950s and 1960s.  They were somewhat lower in cost and less stylish than the Big Kit Brands.  Their instruction manuals were rife with errors; upon opening up an Arkay kit, one would find a pile of Errata Sheets and had to be careful to annotate the construction manual before starting to build the kit!

My Dad got an Arkay ST-11 Binaural AM-FM stereo tuner for his system.  It was the most high-styled Arkay I ever saw.  He replaced it after broadcast FM Multiplex Stereo came along, because the Heathkit AC-11 Multiplex Adapter he bought and built turned out to be unacceptably unstable.  He must have traded the Arkay because I wasn't able to find it in the house after he passed away, six years ago.  Too bad...I recall that as a mono tuner it was sensitive and performed well.

I learned about the Heathkit AC-11's instability myself, sadly, later on with a different one!

Attached: EBay photo of Arkay ST-11...so it's subject to disappearing!

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed May 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Damn! That's retro. I like it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:13 pm

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:13 pm