The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Rating for EL-34 grid stoppers?

Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

Rating for EL-34 grid stoppers? Empty Rating for EL-34 grid stoppers?

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed May 28, 2014 7:31 am

I'm wiring a bare ST-70 chassis, and need to know the power rating of the 1K0 grid stopper resistors on pin 5 of the output tube sockets. 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt?  The current in the control grid circuit should be minimal to non-existent, right?  If I'm using carbon composition grid stoppers, should I go up one value (from 1/4 to 1/2 watt) to reduce the noise inherent in carbon comp types?

Rating for EL-34 grid stoppers? Empty Re: Rating for EL-34 grid stoppers?

Post by Guest Wed May 28, 2014 8:08 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sailor

Post by sailor Wed May 28, 2014 12:47 pm

If you want less noise I would use Metal film 1% 1/2 watt or at least carbon film 5% 1/2 watt. You can pull a schematic for the original ST 70 in the manual section above.
    sailor

Post by sailor Wed May 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Actually above,
    Sticky: Free Dynaco tube schematics

Post by Guest Wed May 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Wed May 28, 2014 6:14 pm

I prefer to use carbon composition (CC) resistors as grid stoppers, as they have essentially zero inductance (just a tiny bit of lead and stray inductance). The drawbacks to carbon comps really don't cause trouble when they are used as grid stoppers. The noise is not an issue since the current in a grid circuit is vanishingly small which means the "microarcing" noise CC resistors generate is pretty much nonexistent. Also, the drift issue is not a concern, as grid stoppers exact value is not critical - anywhere close works fine.

That all said, metal and carbon film resistors can work fine in that spot in nearly every case. The spiraling does cause them to have more inductance than a CC resistor, but the low resistance values used mean not too many spirals are cut so the added inductance is quite low.

Last edited by Jim McShane on Wed May 28, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct verbiage)
    sailor

Post by sailor Wed May 28, 2014 7:04 pm

At least we agree on the 1/2 watt.LOL Very Happy  I guess I am biased against carbon because I have been replacing noisy carbon resistors with film for the last 40 years. It started when I modified my first Dynaco PAS 2 in 1976. They may have a better tone when installed but let's compare them at 5 or ten years from now. But at the end of the day  to each there own . The most important thing is to enjoy the music.
    Oh and to answer the original question. You want to go up in Watt rating for the same kind of resistor to lower the noise because the PPM rating is based on temp. and a larger resistor can dissipate the heat better and run cooler therefor quieter. However the original was 1/2 watt and that is what I would use. As you said there isn't much load on that resistor to begin with so there is really little heat to dissipate.
    PS Just read Jim's post and I think he nailed it. Great post Jim.
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

Rating for EL-34 grid stoppers? Empty OP responds

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed May 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. Jumping the gun a little, I ordered a small handful of 1/4W and 1/2W Ohmite 'Little Demon' carbon comp types.

I'll try one or the other, and attach the body as close as possible to the lug on pin 5 without actually making contact. I understand that such close placement (i.e., short lead length) helps in the parasitic oscillation minimization department.

Onward and upward.

P.S. Hi, Jim. Long time, no correspond.  Very Happy  Thanks for your input, and be well.

Mike Pinsky
    Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Downhome Upstate wrote:Thanks for the replies. Jumping the gun a little, I ordered a small handful of 1/4W and 1/2W Ohmite 'Little Demon' carbon comp types.

I'll try one or the other, and attach the body as close as possible to the lug on pin 5 without actually making contact. I understand that such close placement (i.e., short lead length) helps in the parasitic oscillation minimization department.

Onward and upward.

P.S. Hi, Jim. Long time, no correspond.  Very Happy  Thanks for your input, and be well.

Mike Pinsky

Hi Mike!! Great to hear from you.

Solder those .5 watters in there just the way you described and they'll do a fine job for you! Best of luck with your project!!
    zx

Post by zx Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 am

Can Anyone say why theres no grid stoppers on the 6AN8.... stock MK3 board....?
    Was as Most say .....Cash?
    thanks

thanks for the site Bob........
    Wieslaw Lipowski

Post by Wieslaw Lipowski Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 am

Look at the tube sockets, between pin 6 and 5.
    zx

Post by zx Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Any help.......
    Mcintosh not so much...never like the VTL amps.................12at7....not for me...better than a 12aX
    on the grid stopper on the 6AN8. input tube in the MK3s.......yes, No, maybe................dose the 6AN8 need a.............grid stopper??
    why not.....?

thanks for thje site Bob...........................have fun with tubes................
    sailor

Post by sailor Fri May 30, 2014 4:42 pm

I assume you are talking about the 6AN8 input side and not the output. If this is the case it is because it is a pentode first tube and in most cases it is not necessary to use one on a pentode. However your triode tubes in many cases do need a grid resistor.
    zx

Post by zx Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info.....i have put a 250ohm 1/4 watt... it sounds better i think...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am