The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

phono pre for MM cartridge

dmag

phono pre for MM cartridge

Post by dmag on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:30 am

Im using a pas with zmod boards.
    My cd recorder needs more gain from my Benz micro silver cartridge,which is a "high output" mm, for proper recording levels.
    its ok for listening.
    Output is 1.8mv.
    Are any of the available boards suitable for a mm cartridge?
    Any plans for a step up transformer?

sailor

Re: phono pre for MM cartridge

Post by sailor on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:00 am

MM? Did you mean MC.

sailor

Post by sailor on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:03 am

For recording purposes you could pull the signal from the preamp output.

dmag

Post by dmag on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:43 am

Yes , sorry . I did mean MC. Im looking at Shannon Park's SUT. It looks like that may do the trick.

skriefal

Post by skriefal on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:06 pm

With 1.8mV output you shouldn't need a step-up transformer. Even a lowish gain 1:6 SUT (which is uncommon) will put the resulting cartridge output at beyond 10mV... which may be too much for your phono stage to handle.

Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:39 pm

I have a Denon DL-103 (MC - 0,3mV) connected to the PAS by normal MM. This capsule sounds good through the speakers, but not the output records would need a transformer/elevator 1:15, however I can not use due to excessive signal saturation. I have the PC5 and PC6 original plates.

I'm interested in results on this subject, at the time that solves the problem of HUM, I plan to install the board VTA line with tone controls Tubes4hifi.

dmag

Post by dmag on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Philo, you'll like the zmod boards. I don't have the tone controls,but don't miss them. I did keep the blend switch for mono recordings as well as the balance.
    If you haven't checked , be sure the solder on the phono inputs isn't touching the chassis.
    I had a hum problem drive me nuts and that was the cause IIRC.i used some fiber washers to space the board, I think. Perhaps others can chime in.

In swapping gear around, I found there is some mismatch between my recorder and preamp. When the recorder is removed all is good. Connected ,the sound thru the speakers becomes muted and rolled off. I tried a buffer to no avail.
    Perhaps that may be why I removed the recorder in the first place.
    I feel kind of lost without it. Which leads to the next quandary.

sailor

Post by sailor on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Well as I said before, if the output is plenty loud to listen to but you need more output for recording just hook to the preamp output stage. [not the phono stage]. If you also wish to listen to the music while it is recording you can put a couple of cheap RCA output splitters in the preamp out. You will need a male split to 2 females to hook your interconnects to it. About a $10 fix. I have also used these splitters to go to both my standard amp and sub amp.

Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 pm

This is the result of the capsule MC Denon DL-103 (0.3 mV.).

I'll try the sailor for recording solution.

sailor

Post by sailor on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:35 pm

The last really good cartridge I had was the original DL-103 with a round diamond. This was back in 1983. It was the best I ever owned and cost $150.00 back then. The elliptical needle was $200 and had a little more highs and detail. When you bent the shaft the whole thing had to be replaced at full cost. I notice now it still has to be replaced but they cut the price on the second one. Anyway I noticed the new one has a square needle and is $379 retail. Not to bad of an increase for 30 years. Two years later my first wife and I parted company and she kept the whole stereo setup including records so I've been spinning CD ever sense. Glad to see they still make it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:24 am

Current date/time is Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:24 am