The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Speaking of Mk IV problems

corndog71
    corndog71

Speaking of Mk IV problems Empty Speaking of Mk IV problems

Post by corndog71 Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 pm

I sold my pair of newer MkIV amps (Dynakitparts) with curcio upgrades to a buddy of mine and he recently developed a problem with one of them. He's tried with and without tubes, checked for shorts and found none but the amp still blows the fuse upon flipping the power switch. We suspect the transformer went bad. Is there a way to check the PT for internal shorts?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Speaking of Mk IV problems Empty Re: Speaking of Mk IV problems

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm

If you pull all the tubes out of an amp then turn the amp ON and it blows a fuse instantly, then it is almost certain that the power transformer is bad. To double check that the power transformer is bad > remove it from the amp. Now separate all the wires so that they don't touch. Run your AC into the two BLACK wires through an inline fuse on one side of the AC line. If the amp blows the inline fuse instantly, then the power transformer is bad. You can't really say which winding is bad but one of them has to be bad. The most likely suspect is the high voltage winding (the two RED wires that go to pins 4 and 6 on the rectifier tube socket).

Bob
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks, Bob.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am