The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
sKiZo
zx
corndog71
kaner
Downhome Upstate
9 posters

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips?

Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Re: What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips?

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

Bob Latino wrote:
    Downhome Upstate wrote:My scratch built ST-70 has all new parts (including the VTA noval driver board) except for the original cloth lead output iron. When I drive it hard, the signal begins to break up, producing static, cracks and pops. That doesn't seem like garden-variety clipping behavior. Any idea what this might be?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike,

You said here in your first post (above) that this was a scratch built ST-70 that used a VTA noval driver board. Could you post a photo of the inside wiring and let us look at how the amp is wired ? One of us may be able to pick up on some issue in the wiring of your scratch built ST-70 that could cause the problems you are having with the amp.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Absolutely. I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Best,

Mike
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Pics now?

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 pm

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-2_zpse704ca79
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Pic #2

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm

That's better

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-1_zpsdc491b69
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty More pics

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 pm

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-3_zps77688457
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Photo #4

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Another view:
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-4_zps6a650f28
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty And again

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Pic #6
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-5_zpsc236407f
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty No. 7

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Another angle:
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-6_zps63d62721
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty And another one

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

No. 8
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-7_zpsc2ac17ab
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Number 9 . . .

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Yet another,
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-9_zpsc3f98aa6
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Last one

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 pm

No. 10 (a repeat?)
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70-2_zpse704ca79

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Re: What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 pm

what brand/make of output transformers are you using? I don't recognize the wire colors used on yours.
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

Post by Downhome Upstate Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Dynaco A 470's. The cloth leads are just really faded. Also, unfortunately, the iPhone pics came out blue-green, and don't help color id much. (I don't have another camera.)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:34 am

Double check that the BLUE and BLUE/WHITE leads on those original cloth lead A-470 output transformers go to pin 3 of each output tube and that the GREEN and GREEN/WHITE leads go to pin 4 of each output tube. You did mention that the leads are faded and sometimes blues and greens can look the same. It's too bad that you don't have a better digital camera to post some better (larger) photos. It is hard to see the detail of the tube socket wiring on the output tubes ..

Bob

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 am

I cannot see anything that is an obvious problem/concern in the wiring, although as Bob has indicated, color in the photo's is not the best, going by that blueish/green tint in all photo's, did you take those under fluorescent lights?
    I have noticed what looks like some black sleeving or heat shrink on the speakers wires, were those wires extended? One area to maybe have a closer look at, if they are extensions, would be the solder quality, that of course means unsoldering the speaker wires from the tube sockets and removing the sleeving/heat shrink to inspect those solder joints.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:19 am

one very obvious thing I see is that the speaker outputs aren't grounded, the black lead of each channel needs to be tied to chassis ground.
    Check your wiring against the VTA70 diagram here:
     www.tubes4hifi.com/VTA70wiringdiagram3.GIF

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:54 am

tubes4hifi wrote:one very obvious thing I see is that the speaker outputs aren't grounded, the black lead of each channel needs to be tied to chassis ground.

nicely spotted Roy...would not have picked up on that from the photo's.
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Double check that the BLUE and BLUE/WHITE leads on those original cloth lead A-470 output transformers go to pin 3 of each output tube and that the GREEN and GREEN/WHITE leads go to pin 4 of each output tube. You did mention that the leads are faded and sometimes blues and greens can look the same. It's too bad that you don't have a better digital camera to post some better (larger) photos. It is hard to see the detail of the tube socket wiring on the output tubes ..

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Will do. And if I can take some better photos, I'll put 'em up & delete the blue-green tinted ones.
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:18 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:one very obvious thing I see is that the speaker outputs aren't grounded, the black lead of each channel needs to be tied to chassis ground.

Thanks, Roy. Damn. Don't know how I missed that. Will do.

Last edited by Downhome Upstate on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Is this better?

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 pm

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 ST70v2_zps1de1aa06No more blue/green, anyway.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 pm

much better! Smile
    As Roy has already suggested, first thing, run a wire from each of the -ve/black wire of the speaker terminals to ground, connect each wire to the existing ground star lug/s next to your multi cap, then fire it up and run it again and see if you still get the problem.
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm

MontanaWay wrote:I cannot see anything that is an obvious problem/concern in the wiring, although as Bob has indicated, color in the photo's is not the best, going by that blueish/green tint in all photo's, did you take those under fluorescent lights?
    I have noticed what looks like some black sleeving or heat shrink on the speakers wires, were those wires extended? One area to maybe have a closer look at, if they are extensions, would be the solder quality, that of course means unsoldering the speaker wires from the tube sockets and removing the sleeving/heat shrink to inspect those solder joints.

Good eyes (even if my photos were terrible).

That black stuff is heatshrink placed over a portion of the original (uninterrupted) output xformer leads where the insulation was cracking or frayed, and not a splice.

Thanks for looking.

And yeah, I'll ground the black speaker leads to the star ground and fire it back up!

Mike

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Downhome Upstate wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:I cannot see anything that is an obvious problem/concern in the wiring, although as Bob has indicated, color in the photo's is not the best, going by that blueish/green tint in all photo's, did you take those under fluorescent lights?

Good eyes (even if my photos were terrible).

That black stuff is heatshrink placed over a portion of the original (uninterrupted) output xformer leads where the insulation was cracking or frayed, and not a splice.

Thanks for looking.

And yeah, I'll ground the black speaker leads to the star ground and fire it back up!

Mike

oh good!
    It will be interesting to see if you still get your problem once you've grounded your speakers -ve post!
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Well, now we know what happens when the speaker neg. post isn't grounded . . .

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!

Thank you Roy, Bob, Montana and everyone! This is just a terrific community of enthusiasts, and I'm proud to associate with all y'all (Groucho notwithstanding). Thanks again!!  jocolor   cheers
    Downhome Upstate
    Downhome Upstate

What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 Empty Mascot

Post by Downhome Upstate Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 pm

R2D3
    What does a scratch built VTA ST-70 sound like when it clips? - Page 2 DynamicMascot_zps6513c10e

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Downhome Upstate wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!

Thank you Roy, Bob, Montana and everyone! This is just a terrific community of enthusiasts, and I'm proud to associate with all y'all (Groucho notwithstanding). Thanks again!!  jocolor   cheers

well that is AWESOME news! enjoy your 're born' ST70!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am