The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

my SP9/PH10 preamp build

MontanaWay

my SP9/PH10 preamp build

Post by MontanaWay on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 pm

whilst I'm uploading images, I might as well add my build of the SP9/PH10 preamp combo.
    As with all my other builds, all the wooden chassis' are made by a guy in Bozeman who really does excellent work.
    I am using new Mullard's 12AX7's in the SP9 and Harmonix 12AY7's in the PH10, all matched, balanced and low noise and let me tell you, this preamp is dead quiet and sounds oh so good!
    Matched with my ST70 power amp and the KT88's, great bass and just the cleanest of sound!

photo elvismkiihs2_zps8cd5921d.jpg

photo elvismkiihs3_zps7ebac969.jpg

photo elvismkiihs1_zps35edcf7f.jpg

photo elvismkiiinside_zpsc201e988.jpg

zx

Re: my SP9/PH10 preamp build

Post by zx on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 pm

WOw looks like your haveing fun....with tubes....... an Diying minny peaces
    It the greatest....to just get up an tweek or Diy a Amp ....are work on the crossover in My Apogees Stages .....are mod a pr of Magnepans MC2c crossover....are rework my Acoustats M3 bias setup with diff parts.. are rework a pr of MartimLogans ESL panels.....
    All to get the sound we wont........ Audio ....it a good life...
    thanks for the pic an info

Thanks for the site Bob.................Tubes Go fig...Hehe

5/35

Post by 5/35 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:19 pm

O.K. Montana, this really inspirers me.
    I have been dreaming of building a SP16 w/ PH16, but throwing all those tubes inside a metal box is just not my style. If one is going to have tubes, one should see tubes.
    Having only built my M125s, I can only assume that you are flip flopping components from one side of the PCB to the other and using appropriate stand offs to allow you to set the tube sockets at the correct elevation. Is this correct?
    I also believe I read that you have your faceplates and such CNC'd by an outside source, do they do one offs?

Thanks again for your help with my loose connection.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:55 pm

5/35 wrote:O.K. Montana, this really inspirers me.
    I have been dreaming of building a SP16 w/ PH16, but throwing all those tubes inside a metal box is just not my style. If one is going to have tubes, one should see tubes.
    Having only built my M125s, I can only assume that you are flip flopping components from one side of the PCB to the other and using appropriate stand offs to allow you to set the tube sockets at the correct elevation. Is this correct?
    I also believe I read that you have your faceplates and such CNC'd by an outside source, do they do one offs?

Thanks again for your help with my loose connection.

I too prefer to have my vacuum tube poke through the top., I think it looks way better.
    I only place large components on the track side of the pcb which would interfere with the spacing and yes, I use plastic standoffs to bring the tube socket just under the top plate.
    I use Front Panel Express for all my plates, they also have a free design software which is what I use and yes, by all means, they do one offs!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:54 am

Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 am