The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers

wildiowa

Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers Empty Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers

Post by wildiowa Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:27 pm

My interest and history with Dynakits is strictly in the rock and roll combo world. Started using Mark IIIs to run Voice of the Theaters many many years ago and the love story continues to this day. I am currently jamming with a friend who owns a recording studio in Omaha and he is also a collector of old stuff. You simply would not believe the tubes, offbeat stuff and oddballs he has from the combo period of the 60's and 70's.

Two weeks ago he unveiled his latest find. Back in the 60's he knocked off the early Sunn amps using stock Mark IIIs in their bass rigs and made his own clone brand and actually produced several dozen units under his "Paragon" brand. He has retrieved two of them, Number One and Number Five. Basically a tone stack and a stock Mark III bolted into an amp head. One of the Mark IIIs has what he refers to as an original Dyna "potted" transformer, which is apparently quite rare in the Mark IIIs and superior in some ways? He opined that he believed Dyna started as a transformer manufacturer and went into amps but not sure about this, or the rarity/value of a potted tranny or if it even means anything or what the heck it is...anyone?? It seems to have a more rounded look no bolts or sharp edges.

I will get some photos for your review and interest but phone camera just did not do it justice. Historically I found it interesting that the Mark IIIs were well respected and were the basis for many of the relatively high power tube amps that were to come.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers Empty Re: Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers

Post by sKiZo Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Sounds interesting ...

Potted transformer?

Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers 141966d1340306205-problemer-med-grunnsta-y-nettsta-y-trafosta-y-epoxy_transformer
    wildiowa

Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers Empty Re: Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers

Post by wildiowa Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Looks logical....and similar in appearance to what I could see on the top end. Looks more like the trannys on my Citation II rather than the rather sharp angles and bolt through assembly on the Dynas. Was there ever a stock Dyna potted tranny supplied with the Mark IIIs? Was it better/superior? Rare or aftermarket?? Just wondering, no biggie.
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Rock and Roll Combos and potted transformers Empty Dynaco potted transformers

Post by DynakitParts Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi,
    To the best of my knowledge...The Dynaco potted transformers were never offered with their kits, although
    I do have a pair of Mark VI amps factory wired with both potted power & output transformers. They are difinetly Dynaco iron. When I got these they were wired for 100 vac. I suspect these were intended for Japan.

Additional taps allowed me to rewire these units for 120 vac.

Kevin
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:24 pm

What happens if you smoke a potted transformer? Do lizards come flying out of the refrigerator?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:52 pm

deepee99 wrote:What happens if you smoke a potted transformer? Do lizards come flying out of the refrigerator?

???????...I wanna smoke what you're smoking!!!!!!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 pm

MontanaWay wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:What happens if you smoke a potted transformer? Do lizards come flying out of the refrigerator?

???????...I wanna smoke what you're smoking!!!!!!!

Can't remember. It was an hour ago. But we are straying dangerously close to thread-drift here.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I knew I was introducing a target rich environment here....and suspected who might be the ones to start the inevitable puns!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am