The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Shuguang EL34

mazeeff

Shuguang EL34 Empty Shuguang EL34

Post by mazeeff Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:43 am

On a wim, I decided to try a set of Chinese made Shuguang EL34's in my 1967 modified ST-70. At $36 a quad, I was not expecting much, but after a couple of hundred hours listening, I am very impressed. I am running them at 50ma through a Shannon Parks driver. I listen mainly to classic rock, and these things seem to fit the bill. Has anyone else tried these?

Mike

1967 Dynaco ST-70
    Diytube driver
    SDS labs cap board w/ SS
    Nuforce USB DAC
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Shuguang EL34 Empty Re: Shuguang EL34

Post by Bob Latino Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:46 am

Hi Mike,

On another older post here on the forum > Post on Shuguang made EL34 output tubes I mentioned about the Shuguang made EL34 output tubes as being one of the best buys in tube audio. Some people look down on Chinese tubes but the Shuguang EL34's, which are also sold under the Valve Art and Ruby brand names, are not only very good sounding but very reliable tubes.

Bob
    bluerondo
    bluerondo

Post by bluerondo Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Shuguang's El34 sound very good to me also but I don't have anything else to compare them with. I wonder how the KT-88's sound in comparison? I saw these Electro-Harominix (tubedepo) on Amazon for $63 pair. I believe they will provide more punch and less vintage tube-ness. I'm tempted to give them a try.

Bill
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 pm

bluerondo wrote:Shuguang's El34 sound very good to me also but I don't have anything else to compare them with. I wonder how the KT-88's sound in comparison? I saw these Electro-Harominix (tubedepo) on Amazon for $63 pair. I believe they will provide more punch and less vintage tube-ness. I'm tempted to give them a try.

Bill
    kt88 ( 6550) has less Ra and will give lower output impedance. This might
    stiffen the bass somewhat ( dampen better)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am