The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

High value items in audio today ...

Gregg R.

High value products

Post by Gregg R. on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:04 pm

I received an e-mail which included this very nice soldering package for the holidays:

CSI soldering kit

It may be just enough to convince someone to update a Dynaco ST-70 with a VTA board, or, better yet, build one of Bob Latino's Power amps, or Roy Mottram's pre-amps!!

Thanks for the site,

Gregg R.

Hurry, because they are going fast. 3 sold in the last half hour.
    Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever with CSI!

Note: Shipping charges are extra!
    2nd Note: With a $50 order you get a free gift. Go to the home page and scroll down for the offer. The $30 DMM looks like the best deal.

Last edited by Gregg R. on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:18 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Shipping info; free offer)

deepee99

Re: High value items in audio today ...

Post by deepee99 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Gregg R. wrote:I received an e-mail which included this very nice soldering package for the holidays:

CSI soldering kit

It may be just enough to convince someone to update a Dynaco ST-70 with a VTA board, or, better yet, build one of Bob Latino's Power amps, or Roy Mottram's pre-amps!!

Thanks for the site,

Gregg R.

Hurry, because they are going fast. 3 sold in the last half hour.
    Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever with CSI!

Just snagged one. I would like to be able to do some poking and prodding without worrying about my cheap Weller going too cold or too hot.

batman7349

Post by batman7349 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:25 am

O.K. me too on the soldering set! I just scored a factory wired ST-70 that has a poorly re-capped driver board. Looks like a VTA board is in my future, along with getting rid of the selenium rectifier and the multi-cap. Merry Christmas to ME!

rilayton

Post by rilayton on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 am

"One of the best buys is the Sovtek 5AR4 sold by The Guitar Center. $13.39 each"

Hey Bob, When I went to Guitar Center They didn't have the Sovtek so I had to pay $33 for a Groove Tube one. When I clicked the link you put up it said new price $32.99. any way I spent $2 on a couple of diodes and mounted them in the groove tube rectifier tube base and its worked great ever since. I realize your post is a couple months old but they have almost tripled in price.

arledgsc

Post by arledgsc on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:37 am

Have to give a shout out to Audio Advisor, Inc. Their affordable power cords (Pangea), Black Mamba II interconnects (Audioquest King Cobra cable stock) , and in house terminated Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables have made my system sound its best for a modest sum of cash.

Gregg R.

HIGH VALUE PRODUCTS

Post by Gregg R. on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:14 pm

I came across these tubesets on EvilBay:

Tungsol Kt120

TungSol KT150

I have ordered tubes from this guy with complete success. He has a near spotless feedback score. The KT120s are actually priced lower than most KT88s.

Thanks

Note: Another dealer that I have had good luck is Nikolay at:

TubeMazeStore

Gregg R.

Last edited by Gregg R. on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)

frank

Post by frank on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:07 pm

I'll put in a vote for JRiver MediaCenter. It does all you might want audiophile-wise.

http://www.jriver.com/index.html

You can play back any file format known to man, in bit-perfect audio.

Or if you want, you can use all sorts of processing. Surround sound and everything else. I use mine on my job as a semi-truck driver. I use the volume leveling, or dynamic range compressor, so that I could play music on the road and still hear the quiet passages in classical music without getting blasted out by the crescendos.

pedrocols

Post by pedrocols on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:44 pm

arledgsc wrote:Have to give a shout out to Audio Advisor, Inc.   Their affordable power cords (Pangea),  Black Mamba II interconnects (Audioquest King Cobra cable stock) , and in house terminated Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables have made my system sound its best for a modest sum of cash.  
    I've had bad luck with the pangea power cords. I've gone through two sets that broke in less than a year. However, I sliced open one of them and they are build exactly how it says in the description.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:31 pm

The question begs asking ... How does one break a power cord?? Question

Another thumbs up for jRiver. Very nice digital front end for any HT server ... my final stop on my adventures in equalization went through their convolution kernel DSP add on. Building and using a music (or video, or both) library is effortless.

richtp

Post by richtp on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:14 am

The first Tubes I picked up for my St-70 were Valve Art (Shaguang?) El34's I have been happy with them and they were only about $10 each! I have a quad of Mullard reissue EL34's that cost more than twice that and I think I like the Valve Art's better.

I may stick to the Valve Arts just because of their sound vs price.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:55 am

I still gotta say, the TungSol KT120's are still quite the bargain if your amp can handle them. Very competitive with a lot of the KT88's available today. Same price per bottle as the TAD KT88's I picked up recently.

Thanx for the reminder - been meaning to switch back to the KT120's here. Be interesting to see now that I've retrained my ears to the TAD's ... those have been in the ST120 for a couple months straight now.

jjones3318

Post by jjones3318 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:28 pm

iFi Audio iDSD Nano DAC. I bitstream DSD straight to it from JRiver on a Mac Mini. Source files are on a Synology NAS via DLNA to JRiver.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Put the DSP from the WMP on the HTPC to the DAC via the USB and to the AMP with the RCA ...

Doncha love it when they speak alphabet? clown

jjones3318

Post by jjones3318 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Okay then, let's try again.

This is a great USB DAC for playing back from a computer - punches far above its price.  

The rest is how I do it.  The acronyms are easy enough to google, but:

NAS - Network Attached Storage.   A box (appliance) of hard drives.
    DLNA - Digital Living Network Alliance.  Provides a standard for streaming digital media to different devices.
    JRiver - the software I'm using to steam the music from the DLNA server (NAS) to the DAC.  It also provides a library function, and allows complete control from my smart phone.

sKiZo - what, exactly, do you mean by 'they'?

Ed Rosenberger

Post by Ed Rosenberger on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:22 pm

There are 85 definitions used for the acronym NAS in just the government and military. Hundreds more in other areas.
    I have thought of NAS as "National Aircraft Standard" for use in aircraft hardware standards.

I've found that acronym use generally cause misunderstandings and errors....unless they're used in a known knowledge group.

I personally despise the suckers....unless a definition is given with its first use in the text.
    I'm old and usually just quit reading after stumbling over one Wink.

Ed

jjones3318

Post by jjones3318 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Ed Rosenberger wrote:There are 85 definitions used for the acronym NAS in just the government and military. Hundreds more in other areas.
    I have thought of NAS as "National Aircraft Standard" for use in aircraft hardware standards.

I've found that acronym use generally cause misunderstandings and errors....unless they're used in a known knowledge group.

I personally despise the suckers....unless a definition is given with its first use in the text.
    I'm old and usually just quit reading after stumbling over one Wink.

Ed

Fair enough, though the context of the terms in the post tell you all you need to know to arrive at the correct acronym. The results from a Google search of "Synology NAS" are spot-on, for example, as are "JRiver DLNA", "Synology DLNA", or even "NAS DLNA".

I figured my implementation would be of interest to folks who found USB DACs to be relevant to them, and indeed the post itself. If I knew I'd be ostracized as "they" for using two acronyms aside from DAC, or that I'd become the poster boy for acronym abuse, I would've kept my trap shut.

10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:53 pm

I got my M-125's installed today, even set my old turntable up and listen to some records. After reading about the dacs and such, wondering how to get the 1's and 0' from this computer across the room to the wonderful sound coming from my speakers. study

pedrocols

Post by pedrocols on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:56 pm

sKiZo wrote:The question begs asking ... How does one break a power cord??  Question

Another thumbs up for jRiver. Very nice digital front end for any HT server ... my final stop on my adventures in equalization went through their convolution kernel DSP add on. Building and using a music (or video, or both) library is effortless.

I should investigate because I broke not one but two.

PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:11 am

I just had a set of Switchcraft 3502ABAU and 3502AAU RCA plugs installed on a set of Jeremy Fix interconnects http://home.comcast.net/~jafix/interconnect.html

The Switchcraft plugs are inexpensive, solid construction and narrow enough to fit vintage gear http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=585

gener8r

Post by gener8r on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:14 pm

I never have any luck trying to imbed a photo, so here's link to a photo of what $75.00 worth of parts can turn into.    

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59541088@N08/15587466564/

Here's a link to the site for the kitted parts and basic cabinet plans:

http://www.mavin.com/store.php/products/studio-reference-audiophile-monitor-65-kit-components-plans-8-ohm-125-watts

The materials for the cabinets, and misc. items added another $100.00;  one 8' x 16" x 3/4" solid wood board for the tops, bottoms, sides and front baffles as I used some spare MDF I had for the backs, five sheets of 1/2 foam from Parts Express to line five inner sides of both cabinets, plus some Minwax clear gloss poly for the finish.  Not bad for under $200.00, and no way do they sound or look like $200.00 speakers.

GP49

Post by GP49 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Gorgeous!

However, the result depends on woodworking skills. While my electronic skills are good, my "fine" woodworking looks like that of a high school student who got an F in Wood Shop!

Build a deck? Or a raised bed in the garden? Fine! A fine quality loudspeaker cabinet? HALP! No

bluerondo

iPhone Audio Tool - sweep function sinewave generator

Post by bluerondo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:52 am

Here's an interesting iPhone App, Audio Tool by Performance Audio in SLC Utah. I've seen various versions of function generators before but this one really caught my eye, beautiful looking interface. They have various separate versions of this but this one has 6 tools:

Here's the full description:

This amazing collection of professional audio tools is a must have for every audio professional, home theater enthusiast, recording engineer, concert goer, and anyone else who needs a fast and easy way to measure the sound levels around them, keep rhythm or tempo, turn their iOS device into a microphone, generate test tones, calculate recording times, or quickly find the definitions of commonly used audio terms.

Audio Tool currently includes these 6 great tools for your everyday audio needs: Decibel Meter Pro, Microphone Pro, Tempo Pro, Tone Generator Pro, Bit Calc Pro and Audio Atlas!

I'm mainly interested in the 20-20KHz sweep tone generator. I soldered up a quick patch cord with 1/8 stereo jack and checked it with a real oscilloscope and the signal looked great, flat from 20 - 20KHz.

I'll be trying this soon when I do some frequency sweeps on my VTA ST70 with various driver tubes I have on order. I do have a HP function generator which I can correlate results with and that I can go way above 30KHz.

But for simple test equipment at $1.99 this iPhone app is great for not much money! Of course to really use this you need an oscilloscope to see the output.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 am

Only $1.99!

(Plus $750 bucks or a two year contract for the phone) affraid

You can get some real deals on pro grade bench equipment if you shop around. I just scored a Loftech TS-1 tone generator for $60 ... original list was better than 10 times that. Been wanting one for a while as it has a digital readout of the actual wave frequency - which cleverly enough doubles as a frequency counter ... Also does direct db readout for circuit alignment. Built in self-calibration too, which is a BIG plus.

dmag

Post by dmag on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:36 pm

Add one for the Shuggies.
    Straitwire has some nice cables. Easy to make and some even use pushprongs .(no soldering and the ends are reusable).I used them for a few years.I dont know id recommend them if constantly being removed and reinserted in order to swap gear. Their plugs are small enough to work on old I/O boards. Snug though. There are some very similar plugs on ebay as well
    Their customer assistance is second to none.

bluerondo

Post by bluerondo on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Just received two 4 foot cables of these from Amazon. Quality looks great, check out their website for the specs. I put them on the FG and the frequency response exceeded 2MHz (flat) so I guess their good for short interconnection between my receiver and ST VTA-70. 75 Ohm/56pF, Price is great as well. These are the ultra series subwoofer which are available in 4 foot. The RCA stereo series minimum length are 6 footers but it appears the cable is the same. Nice gold connectors.

https://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/product/ultra-series-subwoofer-cable-dual-shielded-rca-to-rca-black-4-feet/#reviews

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:00 pm

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 pm