The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

new meter choices

icky

new meter choices Empty new meter choices

Post by icky Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:41 am

This subject has been covered, but I am in the market for a new VOM or a VTVM , and I need capacitance testing function. I was wondering if a separate cap meter would be preferable over the meters with it included as a function? I also consider older equipment, i.e., gently used, no longer made, EICO,Sencore, or B&K. Also, is it worth having a cap decade or substitution box?. Having recent problems with my VTA ST-70 and some other issues with my other audio components I'm looking to improve my diagnostic ability with a test equipment purchase.  confused Thanks, Jeff
    ramon68

new meter choices Empty Re: new meter choices

Post by ramon68 Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:53 am

I can't speak to the separate cap meter issue but I bought an Elenco LCM1950 multimeter from Parts Express and it measures capacitance and inductance very accurately.
    Look it up on Parts Express' website. Costs 95 bucks.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:50 am

icky wrote:This subject has been covered, but I am in the market for a new VOM or a VTVM , and I need capacitance testing function. I was wondering if a separate cap meter would be preferable over the meters with it included as a function? I also consider older equipment, i.e., gently used, no longer made, EICO,Sencore, or B&K. Also, is it worth having a cap decade or substitution box?. Having recent problems with my VTA ST-70 and some other issues with my other audio components I'm looking to improve my diagnostic ability with a test equipment purchase.  confused  Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You have brought up a good point mentioning that your purchase of a new multitester will have a capacitor testing function. Every DIY tube person should have a capacitor tester in his arsenal of diagnostic tools. Without a capacitor tester, you are limited in what you can do to track down noise/hum or other issues in your home built amp/preamp.

Bob

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:39 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:45 am

PeterCapo wrote:Although, the capacitance measuring function of many (if not most) multimeters can be limited, in particular, even LCR meters can have trouble measuring in the low pf range if your purpose is to verify the values of some of the smaller-value caps in these amps.

In any case, have a look at the following models from Radio Shack: catalog #s 22-075 and 22-087.  I have a similar predecessor model (catalog number 22-812), and it is really a pretty good meter.  I brought it to a local electronics facility that calibrates highfalutin equipment for area companies, including an aerospace company where a friend works. They tested all settings and ranges of this meter and no calibration was necessary - everything was in-spec.

I looked for decade boxes a while back but couldn't find one for a reasonable cost that was rated for enough power to use in a Dynaco amp (for testing purposes).

ditto on that low capacitance reading ability, my meter has capacitance reading, but is no good for really low values, not a huge deal, but now and then I do need it.
    I should also add that I have purchased a BK Precision capacitance meter model 890C, https://www.bkprecision.com/products/component-testers/890C-dual-display-capacitance-meter-to-50-mf.html, it should arrive next week
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Hard to beat Tenma for value ... I think I paid $60 for mine and it does everything I want it to.

Trick for testing capacitance is to keep the probe leads as short as possible. My meter came with a special pair just for that.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 pm

sKiZo wrote:Hard to beat Tenma for value ... I think I paid $60 for mine and it does everything I want it to.

Trick for testing capacitance is to keep the probe leads as short as possible. My meter came with a special pair just for that.

yes, or get a meter with 'lead zeroing' capabilities!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am