The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+11
GP49
Roy Mottram
Pillo69
Dave_in_Va
audiobill
TMadden
dmag
peterh
bluerondo
turbotoy
colin86325
15 posters

Connecting a CD recorder to my SP/PH10

peterh
    peterh

Connecting a CD recorder to my SP/PH10 - Page 3 Empty Re: Connecting a CD recorder to my SP/PH10

Post by peterh Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:47 am

audiobill wrote:Why burn CDs vs just streaming Tidal?

I haven't touched a CD in years.

iphone and Android apps available......
    Anyone who cares for sound quality ( outside of a car or elevator).

Say waw/flac on one side and mp3 on the other
    audiobill

Connecting a CD recorder to my SP/PH10 - Page 3 Empty Re: Connecting a CD recorder to my SP/PH10

Post by audiobill Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:49 am

Tidal is at CD resolution, using FLAC. 25 million tracks.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:53 am

audiobill wrote:Tidal is at CD resolution, using FLAC.  25 million tracks.

Another reason is to control your music. If you have it in a shelf you can do pretty much
    whatever you like. If you rely on some Internet resources it can stop whenever some
    things get broken, or even worse, whenever some beancounter figures out that
    some activity much stop.
    Remember DRM "secured" mp3 files that needed access to a liens server on Internet ?
    When you thought that you had payed for the music the vendor goes out of business.

It's all about control of your stuff.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:30 am

Two points:  CD-Rs or -RWs burned on a home burner use an essentially different process than commercially manufactured CDs. Lots of them have trouble playing correctly on any given player - especially, it seems, high-end players (such as my own Rega Apollo, which abhors CD-Rs.) And, crucially, ALL CD-Rs deteriorate over time. Sometimes they last a few years - but NEVER longer than 10 years - before they start to skip and eventually are altogether unrecognizable by a player.
    Streaming services are coming along in terms of quality, but if your tastes run towards the Classical or the arcane, you might find a downright poor selection, and that quite poorly catalogued. Especially for long pieces, such as full opera. Even 4 movement symphonies may be broken into pieces and NOT adjacent on the playlist, necessitating long and frustrating searches. Caveat Downloaders. And Streamers. And Streakers, for that matter. tongue tongue

Last edited by Kentley on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:45 am

Even your own files can be subject to difficulty with filing and even FINDING them. The major filing "programs" such as iTunes are pop-oriented. Every file is a "song" which is unsuitable for filing multi-movement classical. After much complaining, Apple said they would make changes in iTunes. Haven't seen them yet, same old song and dance.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:25 am

Think there's a bit of thread drift here; the question was how to archive vinyl onto a CD burner.
    But as we're merrily off course, I'll cast my lot in with Audio Bill, who turned me onto Tidal a year or so ago. It definitely benefits from a high-quality external DAC but the sound quality is indeed redbook. All the android or iphone does is act as a controller. You can buy two CDs or one sheet of vinyl for Tidal's $20/month vig.
    Their new releases to tend to be hip-hop or pop, but if you dig down you'll likely save a lot of wear and tear on your conventional playback media.

audiobill

Post by audiobill Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:12 am

Let me just add that Tidal is now $12 per month for military and veterans.
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:58 am

Back to the buffer, when not recording will there be any frequency response problems if the buffer and recorder are powered off but still connected to the SP10? Thinking about tube life...

I may buy one of these for my SP13.

Last edited by wgallupe on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:59 am

The tubes for the buffer are dirt cheap. I just bought a sleeve of five GE NOS 5654W's for $8.70 including postage(!).
    If you switch out of the tape loop on the pre-amp it doesn't matter if the buffer is on.

I've got to say, and I don't know why, but my system sounds better going through the loop with the Yaqin buffer. This was well worth the $150. I've been copying vinyl over to CD like crazy and they sound really good in the car.
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:19 am

Dave_in_Va wrote:The tubes for the buffer are dirt cheap. I just bought a sleeve of five GE NOS 5654W's for $8.70 including postage(!).
    If you switch out of the tape loop on the pre-amp it doesn't matter if the buffer is on.

I've got to say, and I don't know why, but my system sounds better going through the loop with the Yaqin buffer. This was well worth the $150. I've been copying vinyl over to CD like crazy and they sound really good in the car.

OK great. Guess I didn't think that through. Of course it wouldn't matter when the tape loop is switched out Embarassed

Good to hear it works and sound good. I'm gonna grab one...
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:40 am

wgallupe wrote:
    Dave_in_Va wrote:The tubes for the buffer are dirt cheap. I just bought a sleeve of five GE NOS 5654W's for $8.70 including postage(!).

OK great. Guess I didn't think that through. Of course it wouldn't matter when the tape loop is switched out Embarassed

Sooo, I think this question was asked but never answered: What about the one in the link below? Looks to have much better parts quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290827407364?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:24 am

wgallupe wrote:
    wgallupe wrote:

Sooo, I think this question was asked but never answered: What about the one in the link below? Looks to have much better parts quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290827407364?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Does it still work if you yank the tube?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 pm