The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

SP14 Russian Teflons

Jeff V.

SP14 Russian Teflons Empty SP14 Russian Teflons

Post by Jeff V. Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:27 pm

I've been listening to my SP14 with recently installed Russian FT-3 teflon caps.  WOW!  These caps sound very good!  I don't have many hours on them & I understand there is a very long break in.  So far nothing but sweet music.  Nice uncolored sound.  If they improve I won't complain.  For about $20 shipped these caps are highly recommended.  Only downside is they are Big!  No problem fitting them in the SP14 Chassis.  After more break in I will reinstall them.  Not sure how I'll mount them yet.  Any ideas are appreciated.

-Jeff
    SP14 Russian Teflons Image17
    ramon68

SP14 Russian Teflons Empty Re: SP14 Russian Teflons

Post by ramon68 Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Have you compared them with K40y pio caps? Or, have any of you folks reading this compared the Russian caps?
    Jeff V.

Post by Jeff V. Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:27 pm

ramon68 wrote:Have you compared them with K40y pio caps? Or, have any of you folks reading this compared the Russian caps?

I haven't used them in the same application. I had the PIO in a phono stage & they sounded good. I will also use the PIO when I build a VTA ST-70 board.
    What I can say about the Teflons is they are very detailed. Sound beautiful in my SP14.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes - Those Russian Teflon caps are nice sounding - BUT - they are too big at least for the VTA amps. See the forum post below from 4 years ago on the Russian Teflon caps ...

Dec 2010 post on Russian teflon caps

I am not saying that you can't find a way to use them in the VTA amps and/or stock Dynaco amps but you would have to rig up some type of support system for them. The photo at the link above shows a size comparison with the .22 uF @ 630 volt PIO cap and that cap is pretty large also ..

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 pm