The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's

gflash

MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's Empty MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's

Post by gflash Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:30 am

I just replaced the 20 year old Sovtek 6550 WA's in my rebuilt SOS (sort of stock) MK III's with a set of Electro Harmonix KT88's. By sort of stock I mean the circuit is stock, but the first two capacitor sections in the power supply are handled by discrete caps mounted on a board under the chassis and the metal quad cap handles the second two capacitor stages. I put some pictures in the photo section. My B+ voltage is 548V (measured at eyelet #4 on the driver board), too close to the rating of the quad cap for comfort. The line voltage at my house is 123VAC.

Anyway, the Dynaco manual recommends a bias current of 70mA per tube. But I understand this was based on a B+ of 475V and vintage 6550 or KT88 tubes. Right now I am running the EH KT88's at 45mA/tube, which seems to be about right given the high B+ voltage. Everything seems to sound fine. I am more interested in tube life than .1% less distortion.

I tried searching the web for recommendations, but they are all over the map. What do other people on this forum use?

Thanks.

MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's Empty Re: MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

a safe BIAS setting for the KT88 is 45-50mV per tube or 90-100mV if the BIAS of two tubes is tied together as it was in the old circuit.
    deepee99
    deepee99

MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's Empty Re: MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's

Post by deepee99 Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:57 pm

123 volts is pretty hot for a tube amp, so I wouldn't go above 50. I run my KT-120s at 45/tube and hear no audible difference than when they were set at 60.
    gflash

Post by gflash Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Yes, the bias circuit is stock so 45mA*2*11.2 Ohms = 1V. (Or pretty close)

Thanks.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Not only the tubes ... everything has to work harder at that VAC. That's why I built me mah lil bucker ... allows me to load the amp properly at more suitable line power levels.

MK III bias recommendation with Electro Harmonix KT88's Bucking-transformer

I run my KT88's at 55mV and KT120's at 60mV ... no problems, and a bit more punch.

I like punch ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 am