The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Trigger pulled - M125s

Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Trigger pulled - M125s Empty Trigger pulled - M125s

Post by Cubdriver Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Just ordered the pair off of Evil Bay.  Damn these long business trips - boredom sets in and I get the itch to build things!   Very Happy

-Pat
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Trigger pulled - M125s Empty Re: Trigger pulled - M125s

Post by sKiZo Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Spin the magic wheel!

Best o'luck ... shopping off that auction site can be an experience, but it's really the way to go if you don't mind taking a chance. I've been real lucky with this and that.

Already planning to refurb or do any upgrades?
    Wocher got fer tubes?

PICS!!

PS ... winter's here ... time for me to get antzy and thinking about bench projects. Already got a few lined up, including a couple left over from last spring ...

Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Hey sKiZo!

In retrospect, I probably should have looked into simply buying them and driving up and getting them directly from Bob, but of course that thought didn't occur to me until AFTER buying and paying for them. D'oh!!

I don't have tubes yet, but am leaning towards the KT120s, with GZ37 rectifiers.  Of course I'll need to FIND GZ37s, but seem to recall having seen someone out of Canada selling NOS ones on the bay.  (A tube amp needs a tube rectifier as far as I'm concerned.  Yes, I know it's a bit less efficient, I prefer it.)  I may initially run them with only pairs rather than parallel pairs of outputs, and use something like a 5U4 for the rectifier in the short term.

This will be attempt #2 at powder coating.  And yes, no worries, I'll take and post pics.

-Pat
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Weber GZ38, from an owner.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Aw, bite the bullet and get a pair of NOS Mullard GZ-33s. They're a steal at $150 a pop.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:22 pm

audiobill wrote:Weber GZ38, from an owner.

Audiobill, you meant the Weber 68s, didn't you?
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Yes, sorry.

Again, from an owner , Weber GZ 68. period.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:53 pm

WZ68
    (There ... I think that's right!)

Cubdriver wrote:
    In retrospect, I probably should have looked into simply buying them and driving up and getting them directly from Bob, but of course that thought didn't occur to me until AFTER buying and paying for them. D'oh!!

Ah! You bought new from Bob & Co. No upgrades or refurb required then! As far as picking them up, probably not too late, but gas ain't cheap, the weather ain't pretty, and he packs the amps up real nice. Besides which, your evil overlords are probably planning to send you out on the road again sooner than later. ;-}

I just got a used NATO CV378 for $60 from these guys ...

(In case anyone's wondering, the "CV" is the military code for "Common Valve". Identical to the same year production Mullards. Different labeling is all. You'll see rumors that they're somehow "ruggedized" for military use ... not true.)

http://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/rectifiers/GZ37

Tested good and works nice. That's what I'm running right now. Their inventory changes often, but I figure they're worth checking. Hard part might be finding a pair, so maybe mix 'n match.

And ya ... I'd also pick up on a pair of WZ68 Copper Caps. Get ya started, and make good spares if nothing else. I used one for first fire after the build rather than risk a bottle, but didn't much care for the sound - kinda thin compared to the big bottle. Besides ... it ain't a REAL rectifier unless it lights up!  Idea

Oh ... Canada Guy is selling NOS CV's for $125. Just search for "mullard GZ37" on that auction site ... You'd have to dig real deep to find a better price any more. I paid $90 for a NOS 1968 real Mullard, shield and all, a few months back, but I figure I just got real lucky there.
    Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 pm

sKiZo wrote:Ah! You bought new from Bob & Co. No upgrades or refurb required then! As far as picking them up, probably not too late, but gas ain't cheap, the weather ain't pretty, and he packs the amps up real nice. Besides which, your evil overlords are probably planning to send you out on the road again sooner than later. ;-}

There's that, and the fact that he's already shipped them - he's fast!!

sKiZo wrote:
    I just got a used NATO CV378 for $60 from these guys ...

(In case anyone's wondering, the "CV" is the military code for "Common Valve". Identical to the same year production Mullards. Different labeling is all. You'll see rumors that they're somehow "ruggedized" for military use ... not true.)

http://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/rectifiers/GZ37

Tested good and works nice. That's what I'm running right now. Their inventory changes often, but I figure they're worth checking. Hard part might be finding a pair, so maybe mix 'n match.

Thanks for the lead, I'll check that place out.

sKiZo wrote:And ya ... I'd also pick up on a pair of WZ68 Copper Caps. Get ya started, and make good spares if nothing else. I used one for first fire after the build rather than risk a bottle, but didn't much care for the sound - kinda thin compared to the big bottle. Besides ... it ain't a REAL rectifier unless it lights up!  Idea

Oh ... Canada Guy is selling NOS CV's for $125. Just search for "mullard GZ37" on that auction site ... You'd have to dig real deep to find a better price any more. I paid $90 for a NOS 1968 real Mullard, shield and all, a few months back, but I figure I just got real lucky there.

That's probably the guy I saw last week while contemplating this build.  Painful, but you only live once...  I've got a bunch of old 5U4s, so I'll likely bring them up with pairs instead of quads for initial testing, and use a 5U4 as the rectifier for now...

-Pat
    Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Amp kits were dropped off yesterday by Brown Santa. Output tubes have also been ordered and are allegedly in transit. I'll hopefully get a chance to start building in the next few days.

-Pat

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am