The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
daveshel
sKiZo
Dale Stevens
7 posters

Speaker placement

Dale Stevens

Speaker placement Empty Speaker placement

Post by Dale Stevens Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Our den - listening room - is 18' by 28' , with furniture. Have the Klispsck K horns on the LONG wall (28). Should I not have
    the horns on the short wall (18). Thx all, Dale

Speaker placement Empty Re: Speaker placement

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 pm

best thing is to try it out, impossible to say, even more so to predict.....
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Conventional wisdom is that you're better off firing down the long sides of a room, but ...

More important is speaker placement relative to the walls and the primary seating position. If you can, divide the room in fifths and leave one fifth between the back of the speakers and the wall. Place the speakers one third of the total width in from each side wall. This should minimize undesirable reflections. The primary listening position should form the third corner of an equal sided triangle. Once you've got the starting points, you'll want to fudge them as needed for the best results in YOUR room and ears. Don't forget to play with your toes, angling the speakers either towards or away from center to dial in the stage.

Not to forget, you'll also want to review any specific suggestions provided by the manufacturer for a particular speaker. Some types and designs are very particular about placement.

Of course, this is all hogwash ... do what works best ... What a Face

PS ... all bets are off if the "golden triangle" ends up blocking all the doorways ... having to crawl over or under a speaker could take away from the experience ... even more so if the SO has to do the same to come in and yell at you for blocking the doors!
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:34 pm

I would try placement on the small wall side just to be sure, You could build some false corners from plywood to try placement as sKiZo has suggested, What are you driving your K Horns with?
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:10 am

The size and shape of that room may change the application of the usual rules. I worked with a room that big once. I found my best results came from placing the speakers at thirds along one of the long walls. The ceilings have a lot to do with it - my room had cathedral ceilings and I placed my speakers along the wall that had the lower ceiling. That sounded much better than the short-wall placements.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:08 am

K horns are a very efficient design @ 105 dB 1W / 1M designed to go into a corner of a room so unless you build false corners it limits placement options
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:15 am

When I sold HiFi years ago, we had the entire Klipsch line on display. The K Horns were always in the corners on the long wall. As you know, they are designed for and rely on corners so positioning them out from the front wall (the wall behind them) is not a realistic option. My guess is that your long wall would work well because you have 18' in the other direction which allows you to place the primary listening positions back enough to avoid a headphone effect. Of course, if you have the ability to try both, that's your best bet.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Had them and also tried on both walls of a 16 x 26 room. Opted to have them on the 16" section. Keep in mind that three feet minimum is desirable on both sides of the horn for better bass response. If you want to get goofy like I did, filled that 3' length of the wall with sand almost to the ceiling ( built the room so I was able to have false backs) It did help the low end. Guy who bought the house gave me a call 2 years later when he did some remodeling and asked me "what the #$&*$ did you do?" affraid
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Tell him he's lucky you didn't go with oil ...

If you really want to complicate the issue, add a Carver Holographic unit to the mix. Lost a lot of hair here getting that right. The floors are marked for perfect toe and position, and I did a few mods to the listening chair to keep my head exactly in the sweet spot ...

Speaker placement Listening-chair
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Great minds think alike! cyclops My first "audiophile" grade juice was a Carver M1.5 and the C-1 preamp with sonic hologram. That was fun to play with. Still have it and works great although the preamp sits idle and the 1.5 is used for a secondary zone amp for dining room speakers -- mainly used during the Holidays only.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Maintarget, I have Bob's VTA ST 120 which gives lots of head room. Great info here; I'l try the
    SHORT wall to see. Yes, the Khorns do require a corner. Also, the slanted ceiling goes from
    9' to 12', from the long wall. Thx everyone, Dale
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Brap wrote:Great minds think alike!  cyclops  My first "audiophile" grade juice was a Carver M1.5 and the C-1 preamp with sonic hologram.  That was fun to play with.  Still have it and works great although the preamp sits idle and the 1.5 is used for a secondary zone amp for dining room speakers -- mainly used during the Holidays only.

My latest acquisition ... the Amazing Swiss Army Carver!!

Speaker placement C4000-benched

It slices, it dices, it does julianne fries! clown

And ... (drumroll please) ... it works! Plan is to recap and replace all the Malaysian ICs with some silver back Texas Instruments. I've done that with both my C9 and AV9 with some pretty outstanding results. Really opens up the sound stage ... enough so that I don't have to wear the head clamp and harness anymore.  I still do ... because I think it looks cool ... ;-}
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 pm

sKiZo wrote:
    Brap wrote:Great minds think alike!  cyclops  My first "audiophile" grade juice was a Carver M1.5 and the C-1 preamp with sonic hologram.  That was fun to play with.  Still have it and works great although the preamp sits idle and the 1.5 is used for a secondary zone amp for dining room speakers -- mainly used during the Holidays only.

My latest acquisition ... the Amazing Swiss Army Carver!!

Speaker placement C4000-benched

It slices, it dices, it does julianne fries! clown

And ... (drumroll please) ... it works! Plan is to recap and replace all the Malaysian ICs with some silver back Texas Instruments. I've done that with both my C9 and AV9 with some pretty outstanding results. Really opens up the sound stage ... enough so that I don't have to wear the head clamp and harness anymore.  I still do ... because I think it looks cool ...  ;-}

sKiZo it's all fun and games until someone throws the switch on your special listening chair while your sittin in it affraid
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:34 am

Vandersteen goes into about 5 pages of math and measurements on his website. His expert dealer flew over from Tacoma to set up my 5As. Within a month I was moving them around, away from, then closer to, the wall, toed-in, toed-out, straight ahead. It's what sounds good. Mine are toed-out, about 2 feet from the wall, it's what sounds best to me in this room. I prefer less focus on the ethereal "sweet spot" than what sounds good throughout the listening area. Move 'em around till they sound right to you; it ain't like you're going to break anything.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 am