The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Replacing quad caps

Replacing quad caps Empty Replacing quad caps

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:43 pm

The newer quad caps are advertised to have lower ESR than the originals. They are made for drop-in replacement. The ClarityCap TC caps ( non electrolytic) are advertised to have much lower ESR values than electrolytics. Do these smaller ESR values pose any problems with the Dyna amps? I saw some post on another forum that cautioned against using much lower ESR caps than the originals.

Replacing quad caps Empty Re: Replacing quad caps

Post by Guest Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 pm

here is an extract of an article about ESR, which I believe pretty much explains/answers your question.
    I personally do not think that 'low ESR caps' will have any negative effect in a power supply filtration application.

"It's 'equivalent series resistance', and is somewhat frequency dependent. Basically it's the unavoidable ordinary resistance that comes along with the capacitor.

Lower ESR means that the capacitor is more like an ideal circuit element. Resistance just dissipates power, which results in heat, which is generally no good for capacitors, especially electrolytics."

I think what is more important to consider 'for us' with these quad caps or individual caps in the power supplies is the overall voltage rating, should be minimum 525VDC, but more would be better in the long run!...and of course to not go overboard with the total capacitance...too much is not good either!
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:04 pm

I've been using TC caps in my amps for a few years now with no problems. The first time I used them I replaced some fancy Panasonic electrolytics. The TC caps brought a noticeable improvement in the form of faster transients, tighter / deeper bass, and removing a slight haze to the music.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm