The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Anticipation

AdrianR

Anticipation Empty Anticipation

Post by AdrianR Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Currently waiting for Canada Post to bring my shiny ST-70 kit. ETA Friday - looks like my weekend will be taken care of.

I've wanted an amp based on the KT88 ever since I saw the blue-glass versions by JJ, some 15 years ago.

Up next, potentially, a 6SN7 driver board and a pre-amp.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Anticipation Empty Re: Anticipation

Post by Maintarget Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Congratulations you wont be disappointed once you have it broken in you will be amazed at what you hear that you didn't before.
    AdrianR

Post by AdrianR Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:33 pm

Maintarget wrote:...you will be amazed at what you hear that you didn't before.

That good eh? Cool

I'm running a kit-built, modified Hafler circuit amp by Rik Stoet - good for around 10w into 90db/m speakers by Mordaunt-Short. Source is a Marantz CD4000, with an ECC88 based output stage, also by Stoet.

Nice rig, but lacks 'oomph' - especially on Beethoven.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:14 pm

I was always pretty impressed with my McIntosh MC2205, but the Latino ST120 I built a bit back seems to have replaced that permanently in the system ...

AdrianR

Post by AdrianR Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:38 pm

Well, Canadapost had me on the edge of my seat all day but my kit finally arrived late afternoon - all safe and sound, thanks to Bob's excellent packaging.

As much as I want to fire up the iron right now, there's no rush.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 pm

We'll be needing progress pics ...

Here's the first one I snapped ...

Anticipation Its-here

Granted, I hadn't made much progress at that point. rabbit
    Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 pm

sKiZo wrote:We'll be needing progress pics ...

Here's the first one I snapped ...

Granted, I hadn't made much progress at that point. rabbit

Well, you'd gotten it into the house.  That's progress.   cheers

-Pat
    AdrianR

Post by AdrianR Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:42 pm

So, build started Saturday afternoon - decided not to rush. Got the driver board done then set all aside.
    Sunday: wired up chassis.
    Monday evening: fitted driver board and completed chassis.
    Tuesday evening: completed wiring up except input attenuator.

Rushed home this evening as soon as I could (didn't leave office until 6.30PM) to finish the input wiring, fit the tubes and trim the bias. Total build time was about 12 hours.

I let the amp sit, powered up, for half an hour while I made dinner, then checked and tweaked the bias again.

Currently sitting, sampling music from Spanish baroque harpsichord, Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Bach's 3rd Brandenburg Concerto and, right now, some good old-school 1980's English indie-rock.

The music just JUMPS out at me - even at moderate volume - with a startling clarity that even I, as a tube-lover, am amazed by. I close my eyes, with a Scarlatti keyboard sonata playing and...HOLY CRAP - I could SWEAR that Scott Ross (RIP) is sitting in front of me, pounding the keys.

Thank-you Bob - this is a superb amp and probably the best lump of $ I've ever spent.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Adrian, welcome to the the club. It's nice to see another Canadian join the forum. You'll enjoy hanging out here Im sure, not just for knowledge, but also for the company of a great bunch of fellows.

@Cubdriver. . . Are you a Piper fan, or perhaps a bear trainer with the circus?
    Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:39 pm

LOL - It's related to flying machines, not ursines.  I have a '41 J5A Cub Cruiser that's patiently awaiting restoration.  Seems one can have time, or $$, but not both at once.  (Also, getting back into puttering with electronics and these damned expensive glowie glass things has not helped the latter at all.)

-Pat
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi Pat,

Well that is a lovely machine! I highly approve of tubular audio to help you relax, and lower your blood pressure whist planning how to orchestrate the exciting but dreaded restoration. A comfortable chair, a favoured beverage in one hand, pad and pencil in the other, and soothing music to calm the soul and stem the flow of aviation-induced obscenities.

I, myself, have only just stopped cursing my New Years Eve groundloop. Obviously, more music is required.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:41 am