The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

spanner screw removal

daveshel
    daveshel

spanner screw removal Empty spanner screw removal

Post by daveshel Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:06 pm

I just got ahold of an ST-70A, and it has the spanner screws holding the bottom plate on. Is there an easy way to get these out without having to buy a bit - seems the bits are available in several sizes and I'd hate to make the drive to find one then find it's the wrong size. I suppose I could just drill it out.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

spanner screw removal Empty Re: spanner screw removal

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi,

You need a pin spanner wrench to get those out .. Check the one on Ebay at the link below ...

Pin spanner wrench on Ebay ..

Bob
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks, Bob. Kinda pricey for two screws though.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Its a PITA but you can use two steel dowels, Pins or drill bits and a crescent wrench to remove them IF you have the room to maneuver or just send the 11 bucks and be done with it Laughing
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Do you plan to reuse the screws? If not... I use a Dremel with two carborundum cutting wheels stacked to cut a screwdriver slot. Surround the area with blue tape to avoid nicks in case the cutting wheel breaks or bucks.

Alternative: Harbor Freight sells a pin wrench for removing watch covers for a couple dollars--not sure it if closes down enough for that screw though. HF also sells snap ring pliers that will work. Again, blue tape to avoid damage when the pliers "de-slot".
    GP49

Post by GP49 Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I have been able to improvise. Using steel wire in the correct diameter to fit the holes, I bend a U-shape. I can use pliers to grip the curved part of the "U" so that the ends stick out and can be used to turn the screw.

I learned this from repairing cameras for a hobby. They sometimes use this kind of screw rather than slotted types, for appearance reasons.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm