Actually I started with upgrading my existing turntable "Rega P3-24 with external TT PSU".
Previously I replaced subplatter, dual pulley, 2 silicone belt and was thinking to replace counterweight, put a "on the fly VTA adjuster" and replace internal wiring. When looking thorough the web for good alternatives for those components, saw many good DIY projects and after 2 months of investigation ended with making a new Turntable.
My guideline items were following;
- to use existing components of Rega. Because when I was going to change a main component it have affects on others such as changing platter with a heavier would affect rotation and speed, would need a stronger motor so it goes and therefore decided to continue step by step. To upgrade later the platter, motor, bearing structure.
- should be a flexible design.
- available for 2 arms preferably a 12" arm as a second
- should have a warm outlook of course would be wooden based
- should comply with damping and decoupling requierments.
- should have a separate structure for motor without relation with any part of turntable
There are many good projects on the web. But as for damping and body I believe the best source is Audioqualia
First I tought to use solid wood with good damping characteristic such as Ironwood, Olivewood (oiled) as body and found IPE (African Ironwood). But after bringing to home in room temperature after 1 week it started to have some cracks (even the seller told that is was dried already)
So I turned my way to processed wood. It was impossible to find either Panzerholz or Permali which have perfect damping factor. I decided to go to a composite structure. Main parts of the composite structure is 4 layer 18 mm baltic birch pylwood and isophaltic polyester resin. Isophaltic based polyester resin have very good damping characteristic as well and lead to increase the weight.
I established a box from plywood layers cut at CNC. Glued together filled with isophaltic polyester resin and lead balls.
Now I am sandpapering the bodies. Trying to decide oil and varnish. Making some samples with IKEA beewax varnish, tungoil, urethane based varnish etc.
Feets will be sorbothane and spike combination. I already suplied counter weight as tecnoweight and Michell on the fly VTA adjuster.