The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
GP49
Dale Stevens
6 posters

ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS

Dale Stevens

ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS Empty ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS

Post by Dale Stevens Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Anyone rotating their drivers (ie; EV SP15B's in the Khorns) 180 degrees occasionally to prevent voice coil sag?? Seems I remember this some years back. Dale
    GP49

ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS Empty Re: ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS

Post by GP49 Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:22 pm

I do it on the AR-3s that I use as subwoofers.  When I remember.  I aim for yearly. Usually it winds up longer than that.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Dale Stevens wrote:Anyone rotating their drivers (ie;  EV SP15B's in the Khorns) 180 degrees occasionally to prevent voice coil sag?? Seems I remember this some years back.  Dale

Boy, I wouldn't try that with Dynaco speaks. You need a bloody cutting torch to pry the woofers loose. Dunno what they used for a sealant back then, but it would give Gorilla Glue a run for their money.

Interesting thought, though, and makes sense. I just wonder if the risk of damage to the MDF or the surrounds would be worth it.

wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 am

Coming from the rock and roll side of things when I saw the title of this post I thought you were going to be talking about Leslie cabinets. I was excited.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 am

wildiowa wrote:Coming from the rock and roll side of things when I saw the title of this post I thought you were going to be talking about Leslie cabinets. I was excited.
    There's a joint in Spokane has a band that uses a Leslie organ. The perfect merger of machine and electronics. Put the pedal to the metal . . .
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 pm

There has been absolutely nothing invented or improved upon since the 1940's and 1950's when the Hammond B-3 and Leslie cabinet were created and paired up. I don't know exactly what the deal is on how that sound is achieved...we opened a thread on a guitar forum in which we learned in detail why the musical scale jumps from E to F and B to C without a sharp or flat....something about harmonics and compromises and relationships and physics and the like..and apparently the Hammond utilizes or somehow capitalizes on these harmonics and overtones to give it that unique sound. And then add the Doppler-effect Leslie. And best of all both are mechanical AND electrical in how they create sound. What marvels of technology that have NEVER been improved on or digitally copied.

BTW, the Leslies had a solid and very very good tube power amp utilizing two 6550's to get you to about 50 maybe 60 watts. Preamp was in the Hammond. I always thought it was very similar to a Mark III. Plus a pre amp pot that you could push to get that growly, low distorted sound. I love em, rock jazz gospel man what a setup. Stevie Winwood and Jack McDuff are my favorites, maybe Joey Defrancesco or his dad.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Get a couple of these and put them on ceiling fan motors ...

ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS 541577

I'm thinking the rotating drivers thing falls in the same category as putting your speaker wires up on blocks. The cones self center every time the coils energize. Probably more effectively if you drive them hard.

(Yet another excuse to crank it to 11 ...)
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 pm

I agree on all counts Dale Nothing in the world that matches the sound of a live performance listening to a Hammond B-3 the sound is just incredible.
    deepee99
    deepee99

ROTATING SPEAKER DRIVERS Empty I am told he uses a real Leslie

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm