The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Rectifier or power tube?

kaner
    kaner

Rectifier or power tube? Empty Rectifier or power tube?

Post by kaner Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 pm

A couple of weeks ago I started to have an issue with on of my VTA ST70's on power up.  Occasionally I'd get static on the right side, and I noticed that one of the power tubes was not lighting up.  OK I know all of you are saying well replace that power tube, which is exactly what I should have done.  I'm not sure if it's the experimenter in me or the cheapskate in me but I could coach that tube into firing and all would be fine.

Last night I powered up and the same filament issue happened but with a new twist.  My rectifier put on a light show!  The fuse blew and I successfully took out a power tube and a rectifier.  After replacing both my amp is running fine.  

Lesson learned.

Kaner

Rectifier or power tube? Empty Re: Rectifier or power tube?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 pm

just double check the pins in your tube sockets, make sure they are all nice and tight and clean!
    How old is the ST70?
    kaner
    kaner

Post by kaner Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:03 am

Good advice, although I knew it was the power tube because when I moved it around the problem followed the tube. The chassis is from the 60's but all else is about 3 years old.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am