The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+25
rjpjnk
mijohn
ltusler
Bob Latino
wildiowa
Peter W.
DynakitParts
pedrocols
LeGrace
Johnny2Bad
Roy
pichacker
Roy Mottram
audiobill
cci1492
Kentley
GP49
bluemeanies
daveshel
tubenutr
j beede
peterh
Gregg R.
stunta
sKiZo
29 posters

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ?

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ? Empty Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ?

Post by Bob Latino Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:41 am

An APPLICATION to acquire the "Dynaco" trade name was made by Radial Engineering of Canada on October 23, 2014. This does not mean that the application will be approved. The Dynaco trade name for audio gear is held by ESS Laboratory, INC in Sacramento, CA a division of Marlborough Enterprises, LTD. Personally, I do not see how their application can be approved if the trade name is already held by another company ? A special thanks to Kevin of Dynakitparts for providing me with most of this information on this item ...

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ? Empty Re: Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ?

Post by sKiZo Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Nothing to stop the current holder from selling the name I suppose, assUming they do own it free and clear. I looked up ESS Labs, and they're a speaker & headphone company over in LaLa Land that may have been planning on branching out at one time?

They also hold a license to produce Heil air transformers, but that's just a rental ... the actual patent still belongs to the inventor.

Looks like they also planned to get into mobile video, but apparently on hold as well ...

I wouldn't worry about any of the tech ... I'd think that would all be public domain by now.
    stunta

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ? Empty Re: Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ?

Post by stunta Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:44 pm

Perhaps we could start a Kickstarter campaign and crowd-own the brand name Smile
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ? Empty Re: Canadian company trying to "steal" the "Dynaco" trade name ?

Post by Gregg R. Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:44 am

The same Canadian  company has acquired the "Hafler" name. You can find out more at the following website:

hafler.com

Nothing, however, about how it has acquired the "Dynaco" name.

Radial Eng. was a Hafler distributor in Canada. The new Hafler products it offers have nothing to do with the Hafler Co., except the name.

Page 44 in the May/June issue of TAS has an advertisement for a Hafler headphone amp. They have gotten audio engineer Al Schmitt to endorse their products. We will need to take a wait and see attitude. confused  Looks kind of suspicious! Suspect
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 am

As regards for domain names dynaco.com is held by squatter domaincontrol.com.
    dynaco.net and dynaco.org is hald by squatter cscdns.net.
    cscdns.net. also holds dynaco.be as hostage

dynaco.co.uk is used by http://www.hartdoors.com/ and i think the reason is that a doormaker sells doors ( or locks ) under the name dynaco.

Happily enought dynaco.se is free. Should i register it for you Bob ?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:53 pm

sKiZo.com's available ...

... just sayin' ... ;-}

Of course, that's also held by an url squatter. Almost as many of those as there are spammers. I was surprised a plum like Brainfartz was available when I was shopping for a site name.

Big difference between a brand name and a site name though.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Once upon a time ESS was home to a young speaker designer named Nelson Pass. I don't think he ever made it out of the Sacramento Valley.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon May 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but apparently Radial Engineering has been given an "interim" Dynaco trademark and will be producing a wired Dynaco ST-70 Series III amp soon. See link below for more info and a photo of this amp.

New Dynaco ST-70 Series III

Kevin Devaney of Dynakitparts says though that Panor Corp was awarded an extension of their Dynaco trademark name in January of 2016 and has challenged the interim trademark given to Radial Engineering. Somehow the Canadian Dynaco Company run by a Dan Frasier will be introducing this new amp at the Munich High End show anyhow ?

Bob
    tubenutr
    tubenutr

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ? Empty Canadian company STEALING Dynaco name

Post by tubenutr Mon May 09, 2016 2:30 pm

As someone who lives north of the 49, I kind of took offense at that comment.
    An American company tried and failed to bring the name back to the audio landscape. A valiant effort,
    not fulfilling just the same.
    Now we have an upstart who happens to be based up here. Is it their wish to honour the Dynaco/Hafler tradition or just cashing in on
    the famous names?
    I hope its the former as it would great for our favorite equipment to get a new lease on life and
    hopefully flourish.
    Just a thought IMHO.

Eskimo
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 pm

In October of 2014, I sold my ST-70 amp to a guy who was associated with Radial Engineering. He showed me several of his Web sites on which they sold mainly musical instrument and sound reinforcement gear. He claimed they were going to study the amp and design an updated version. I guess they weren't kidding around!

His name was Peter Janis and he said he was based in Vancouver, BC. I was having some credibility issues and told him it was a cash - local sale only, and he arranged for me to take it to his local distributor, who handed me my asking price in cash.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 am

Radial Engineering is now being sued by Panor Corporation who does legally own the rights to the "Dynaco" trade name. See the link below for more details on the lawsuit ...

Panor Corporation law suit against Radial Engineering

That ST-70 Series III amp that Radial has may never see the light of day ..

Bob
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 am

That suit would stop them from branding it Dynaco, but I'm betting no one owns Hafler as a trade name. And Series III is probably generic enough that Panor would not be able to stop them from using it.

Captain, Van Alstine's amp is branded as the AVA U-70, so he never infringed. As for the intellectual property, he designed his own driver circuit, and the rest of it was generic enough that he was safe. Oddly, my amp was his mod, and I was never very happy with it. I listened to it for 8 years, wondering why it didn't sound as good as my solid state rig. When I rebuilt an ST-35, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. If only I had known about VTA before I paid Cranky Franky big bucks for it!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 am

Okay enough said ... What's the bottom line as it relates to tubes4hifi, Bob Latino and Roy?
    How might things change?

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue May 10, 2016 10:18 am

Check out this link below from the Enjoy The Music web site ..

Enjoy The Music - Dynaco ST-70 Series III

They do mention a price tag in the text of $2500 ! for the Series III version of the ST-70. Personally, I do not think that they will sell very many at that price ...

Bob

daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Tue May 10, 2016 10:49 am

Expensive and slick. They're not going after the DIY market. Doesn't look like it will be an easy design to modify.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue May 10, 2016 10:49 am

The dynaco-to-be was had extremly ugly looking covers. I also noted that they wind
    mains transformer for 120 and 220V . 120 is ok for the US masket, but in europe we have 230V :-)

Also noted that input impedance of the so called st-70 was 2k !! What are they thinking of ??
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed May 11, 2016 10:17 am

peterh wrote:The dynaco-to-be was had extremly ugly looking covers. I also noted that they wind
    mains transformer for 120 and 220V .  120 is ok for the US masket, but in europe we have 230V :-)

Also noted that input impedance of the so called st-70 was 2k !! What are they thinking of ??

Thise covers are probably the entire marketing identity for this small "family" of costly home audio products.

I'm thinking the "2k" input impedance is a product of the inept technical mind of the article's author. Most of the writers of glossy audiophile websites don't have a sound basis for their technical "evaluations."
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed May 11, 2016 11:14 am

I like the new cover.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed May 11, 2016 5:47 pm

corndog71 wrote:I like the new cover.
    If all legal attempts to retain trademarks fail, they could call it the Haflaco Quonset Series. Laughing
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat May 14, 2016 2:23 am

One cannot neglect the possibility that it might be a well-sounding amp that may give competitors a fight. We must not blind ourselfs with an ever lasting demand for "the cheapest" , in the hifi arena
    price is not the no1 criteria it's as always sound quality.

Same goes for the preamp, it just might be a nice combination of properties soundwise although
    i personally find the "design" questionable. I would never buy one as i have my vta-70 that is
    "end-of-search" for me in my current living.

Let us wait and see. It's never wrong with competition.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I am dredging up this older thread (again !) because Radial Engineering's Dynaco ST-70 Series 3 was supposed to be launched for sale in May of 2017. We are now approaching (in a few months) the one year anniversary of their "launch date" and I still see none for sale ? You can see some publicity links of them exhibiting their amp at audio shows but, as of yet, this amp is still not for sale? You can't buy it anywhere ? See their web page below on this amp ..

Dynaco ST-70 Series 3

Bob
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am

Kinda related, but not...was getting tires at Sam's last week, walking around...came upon an "Altec" powered speaker for PA and home karaoke I guess...an Altec....rated at probably a million watts, but the best part was the flashing, dancing, syncopated light show illuminating and eminating from the 15" woofer. All for $199. Wow. I recall the Altec 601, the 604 and the A7 Voice of the Theatre...when Altec meant something. Now a cheap disco POS at Sam's. People buy the venerable old brand names or just steal them and put out their own weird products. So many of the great old hi fi and music instrument names have been trashed recently.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Well I guess at least one company now has these overpriced ($2,999.99 USD !) amps now in stock ... See link below ..

Dynaco ST-70X now for sale

Bob
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 am

1) VTA ST70 $1235 + shipping WIRED with ALL tubes & EL34 output tubes.

2) VTA ST-120 WIRED and TESTED amp with a complete tube set with Sovtek 6550 output tubes > $1600 + shipping.

3) WIRED PAIR OF M-125 amps with ALL TUBES $2895 + shipping

The proverbial no-brainer!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:23 am

Through further research I found out that ANOTHER Canadian company Finale Audio also has a $2999 Dynaco type ST-70. Check it out at the link below ..

Finale Audio ST-X

This thing looks like it has a painted yellow Triode Electronics chassis and it does use "off the shelf" Hammond 1650G output transformers and a Hammond power transformer. The 1650G has no ultralinear screen taps so this amp must run in pentode mode and not ultralinear mode like all other Dynaco type amps. At tops > $700 - $800 for parts and at the most $150 for the tubes. Easily less than $1K for parts and tubes so they want $2K for putting it together. This one as well as Radial Engineering's version will never fly at those prices.

Bob

Canadian company has acquired the "Dynaco" trade name ? Finale_Audio_ST-70

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 am