The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Spades versus locking banana plugs

deepee99
    deepee99

Spades versus locking banana plugs Empty Spades versus locking banana plugs

Post by deepee99 Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm about to order a new pair of 10-foot cables from Blue Jeans.
    Is the spade vs. banana question a Ford/Chevy thing? Obviously, whichever provides the greater contact area would be the prime consideration. I have heard pros and cons for both.
    Any thoughts would be mucho appreciated.
    DeePee

Spades versus locking banana plugs Empty Re: Spades versus locking banana plugs

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 pm

No absolute consensus on this, but what I take from all the threads I have read on this topic is: Use spades unless you do a lot of swapping, then use bananas.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:12 pm

I concur with the Captain. Then again, what's wrong with bare wire? You can potentially get more contact area more directly AND tighter.
    Eliminate the middle man. Go naked! I do.
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm

I use BFA-type bananas. They can be spread apart by prying a screwdriver tip thru the slot. You can get a real snug fit. You secure the wire with the set screw, crimp the connection, or solder for a more permanent connection.

BFA-type banana plugs

Spades and bare wire also work just fine, but I tend to over-tighten the nut, damaging the binding post. Bare wire provides the most direct connection, of course.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:49 am