The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

pas 3 hum after tubes4hifi zmod power supply mod

rolliers

pas 3 hum after tubes4hifi zmod power supply mod

Post by rolliers on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:10 pm

After replacing power supply in stock PAS 3 with a tubes4hifi z mod supply, the amplifier
    has a small hum in one of the channels. Hum is not affected by volume. Any ideas

Re: pas 3 hum after tubes4hifi zmod power supply mod

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:52 pm

check all your ground connections again, to and from the power supply upgrade kit, as well as all remaining ground connections in your PAS3

rolliers

Post by rolliers on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:00 pm

tried that all connections are ok and all ground connections check out ok

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:36 pm

I very much doubt that the problem lies with the power supply, 100's have been sold and are in use with no issues.
    Ground connections may 'look' ok, but the solder joint could be dry.
    Also the fact that only one channel has hum, tells me that it is not the power supply, otherwise both channels would more than likely hum, since the power supply runs both channels/the whole amp.
    All I can suggest at this stage is to check it all again, especially your solder joins, then...check it all again Smile .....you'd be surprised what you find after checking things over two or three times, it is the nature of the beast with electronics and building kits!

rolliers

Post by rolliers on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Roys instructions say to connect B+ P ground to eyelet 4 but on the board itself say to connect to eyelet 10 Are these both ok to use as b+ P ground

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:20 pm

eyelet 4 and 10 on the phono preamp pcb, if that is what you're referring to, are 'identical', they both are ground connections. From the GND connection on the Z-mod power supply, one wire is enough to either eyelet 4 or 10, I am pretty sure about that.
    Lets see if Roy can chime in here as well.

rolliers

Post by rolliers on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:37 pm

thats what i thought the amplifier plays fine, but a noticeabe hum from right channel that was not there prior to changing out original selenium rectifier and quad cap. i thought the same as you as to why in only 1 channel. nothing else was done to the amp

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:48 pm

rolliers wrote:thats what i thought   the amplifier plays fine, but a noticeabe hum from right channel that was not there prior to changing out original selenium rectifier and quad cap. i thought the same as you as to why in only 1 channel. nothing else was done to the amp  

thats why i am pretty certain that it has nothing to do with Z-mod psu, but something else has shown up.
    Have you tried swapping tubes from the 'hum' channel to the other and see if the hum 'follows'

rolliers

Post by rolliers on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:10 pm

tried changing tubes had no affect is there a list of the voltages for all the connections on the upgrade board i have the original manual with all the pin voltages

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:10 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:10 pm