The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

New Tyler Acoustics speaks

deepee99

New Tyler Acoustics speaks

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Damn if I can get a photo up but here's a peek at my new Tyler Acoustics 12 DXs with the VTA/Holgerized renditions.

Last edited by Bob Latino on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Helpless at posting pics)

10-E-C

Re: New Tyler Acoustics speaks

Post by 10-E-C on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Sweet set up!!!

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm

David,

How do those speakers sound in comparison to the (expensive!) Vandersteen speakers you had before?

Those speakers are about 200 pounds each. Did you strap each one on to an Idaho mule and lead the mule into your house ? - LOL ..

Bob

Captain Coconut

Post by Captain Coconut on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Hope it's not too loud for the cat!

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:59 pm

Bob Latino wrote:David,

How do those speakers sound in comparison to the (expensive!) Vandersteen speakers you had before?

Those speakers are about 200 pounds each. Did you strap each one on to an Idaho mule and lead the mule into your house ? - LOL ..

Bob

I would call Tylers the "poor man's Vandersteens." The drivers are top-notch: Daytonaudio 12" woof and passive radiator, the latest Seas drivers for mids (2) and tweets (1). The D12x bottom end, powered by a 1kw Class D amp, see:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/keiga-amplifiers/keiga-kgnd-52100-sp-1000-watt-digital-amplifier/
    is more than up to the task. Only thing I wish Ty would do is maybe put a trim pot on the tweeter for hugely bright rooms like mine. (I am not permitted by She Who Will Be Obeyed to use room treatments, a fair trade-off since she indulges and even enjoys my obsession.)
    They're big honking boxes, alright, but the cabinetry is so superb they don't overpower the living room. Setting up the controls for the bass (three switches, three pots) was the hardest part. Ty talked me through some of it, then I called Madisound for some final advice.
    With the x-over set for 100 Hz (which is where Vandersteen crosses his powered subwoofs) and the 5dB 50-Hz boost on, I get nice, clean butt-rumbling bass.
    The Vandy's are very directional and engineered to produce an easy-chair-sized sweet spot. Attempting to do so requires a higher degree in differential equations than I ever got to. The Tylers disperse over a much wider radius. As the photo depicts, I have them toed-in at the moment. One day after a bowl of Wheaties I will toe them out, see where that leads.
    We had a decent trucker who strapped 'em on to a refrigerator dolly and got them as far as the front steps. It took four of us Idaho mules to slide 'em up the steps and stand them up.
    All said, superbly crafted and designed. If they went through the normal supply chain (warehouse, jobber and retailer) they could credibly fetch $30k, IMHO, not the $8.8k (with free shipping) Tyler charges.
    I told Ty he really ought to include an owners' manual. He said, "Why? You can call me any old time. I'm your owner's manual."

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi David,

For those that do not know ... We have had a thread or two about Tyler Acoustics speakers .. I have two pairs here .. One in my workshop and one as main speakers in my upstairs system. Tyler Lashbrook, the owner, uses high quality Seas and Scanspeak drivers and very good quality crossovers. These are truly "high end" speakers but not at high end prices. Tyler only sells through the internet and has no dealers. You get his speakers right from the factory in Kentucky shipped directly to your door with the understanding that you can return them within 20 days less shipping charges and less a 6% restocking fee. You can also get full value of what you paid if you trade UP (within one year) to one of his more expensive speakers. You will also have to foot the bill to return the speakers you have. He also has used speakers that customers have traded. The used speakers will sell for 20 - 25% less than new ones. The two sets of speakers that I have were used speakers, have all Seas drivers and have worked fine for about 8 years .. Another plus is when you phone Tyler Acoustics, Tyler will usually answer the phone himself .. Link below to Tyler Acoustics ... Highly recommended if you are looking for new speakers ...

Tyler Acoustics Speakers

Bob

Kentley

Post by Kentley on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Tyler Acoustics sounds just like another small company most of us know and love. Do the names "Bob" and "Roy" ring a little tinkle?

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Kentley wrote:Tyler Acoustics sounds just like another small company most of us know and love. Do the names "Bob" and "Roy" ring a little tinkle?
    It was Bob who turned me on to Tyler. I should heed his advice more often king

corndog71

Post by corndog71 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:38 pm

I met Tyler this past weekend at Axpona. Straight shooter. He was showing off his console.

VPI Traveler
    Rogue Audio amp built in.
    3-way speakers (woofers inside firing down)

Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 am

I was just looking at Tyler's website and his nice selection of used speakers. I noticed most were 4 ohm. I have a VTA ST70 using 8 ohm Klipsch RF 62 II speakers.
    What happens if you switch over to 4 ohm speakers? Do you have to go into the VTA 70 and re-wire something?
    Thanks.

peterh

Post by peterh on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 am

Dave_in_Va wrote:I was just looking at Tyler's website and his nice selection of used speakers. I noticed most were 4 ohm. I have a VTA ST70 using 8 ohm Klipsch RF 62 II speakers.
    What happens if you switch over to 4 ohm speakers? Do you have to go into the VTA 70 and re-wire something?
    Thanks.
    You already have 4 ohm taps on the transformers. At least i have. Just connect
    the speakers to them.

( some folks replaces the barrier block with some version of banana plug connector and in the process eleminates all but one outlet. If your amp is one of these you will have to pick up your solder tool and reconfigure)

Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am

I guess I have the "barrier block" as the chassis shows C-4-8-16 but I only have the red and black banana plug connectors.
    My VTA 70 came pre-built.

Thanks for the advice.

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:I guess I have the "barrier block" as the chassis shows C-4-8-16 but I only have the red and black banana plug connectors.
    My VTA 70 came pre-built.

Thanks for the advice.

All the VTA amps come with output transformer secondaries for 4, 8 or 16 ohms. If your amp came pre-built, it was probably set up for 8 ohms.

If you look inside the amp and you see an ORANGE wire connected to the red binding post you are set up for 8 ohms.
    If you look inside the amp and you see an BROWN wire connected to the red binding post you are set up for 4 ohms.
    If you look inside the amp and you see an YELLOW wire connected to the red binding post you are set up for 16 ohms.

If your amp is set up for 8 ohms, all you have to do is unsolder the two orange wires (one on each channel) and connect and solder the brown wire to the red binding post.

Bob

Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks Bob.
    That sounds pretty simple.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Ty's latest line, the Highlands, are 8 ohm.
    I am going to reluctantly put my beloved Decades 12Xs up for sale and try the Highlands. The top-end Decades use Dayton active and passive woofs, the rest Seas, and we upgraded the tweeters. The Highlands are all Seas and Scanspeaks, although there's no flies on the Daytons.
    I will post a quick note on the "fer sale" page here on the forum and render a book report on the Highlands when received.
    Ty is a joy to deal with and his craftsmanship and passion for good sound is nonpareil.

Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:06 pm

The used speaker set I was looking at (window shopping, actually) was the Halo 1. My Klipsch speakers are rated at 97 db @ 2.83V/1m and the Halo says 90 db.
    So I'm guessing I'd have to crank the VTA 70 more to get the same vol. level in my (small) living room?

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:The used speaker set I was looking at (window shopping, actually) was the Halo 1. My Klipsch speakers are rated at 97 db @ 2.83V/1m and the Halo says 90 db.
    So I'm guessing I'd have to crank the VTA 70 more to get the same vol. level in my (small) living room?
    The Decades I've got have a 90 dB rating, not close to horns, but also have built-in Class D amps with a very nifty crossover to run the woofers which takes most of the heavy lifting away from the output toobs.
    Again, I gotta say, Tyler has an ear and craftsmanship I've rarely encountered.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:24 am

Current date/time is Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:24 am