The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Separate Rectification for VTA Board and Output

kblsnbts

Separate Rectification for VTA Board and Output

Post by kblsnbts on Sat May 30, 2015 9:31 am

On my Dynaco ST-70 I would like to try using 5AR4 tube rectification for the VTA board and solid state rectification for the output. At its most basic I believe solid state rectification for the output can be added (on the inside of the amp) by:

1. Solder the unbanded end of one IN4007 diode to pin 4 of the rectifier socket.
    2. Solder the unbanded end of one IN4007 diode to pin 6 of the rectifier socket.
    3. Twist the banded end of both diodes together.
    4. Lift the red output transformer wires (connected to the quad cap pin following the choke) and solder them to twisted ends of the IN4007 diodes.

So I realize this configuration contains no smoothing caps or filters following the diodes, but would it successfully provide voltage and current to the output without blowing a fuse or destroying the amplifier? If not, what else might be required to get this working?

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:03 am