The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Share

    Guest
    Guest

    latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 pm

    here is my latest version of the ST120, and hopefully, if I can keep my fingers off it.. Wink ....lasting version...for now! Smile
    This amp uses an 'all in one' pcb, driver tubes, rectifiers and power tubes all on one large pcb, with a separate power supply cap pcb.
    Sounds awesome, as is expected from the ST120.
    Driver tubes are NOS 6SN7's, rectifiers are 2x Compactron 6CG3 single diode tubes and power tubes are the KT120...of course!

     photo FDMKIV-F 4_zpspnuqfekl.jpg

     photo FDMKIV-F 3_zpsbasxu9wk.jpg

     photo FDMKIV-F 5_zpsxcyznhbm.jpg

    Kentley

    Posts : 335
    Join date : 2015-03-06
    Age : 64
    Location : Worcester, MA

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Kentley on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:46 pm

    Well, that is ELEGANT. I want it.
    What are the chassis dimensions?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 pm

    Kentley wrote:Well, that is ELEGANT. I want it.
    What are the chassis dimensions?

    thank you. Yeah, I think I finally got the layout right! Chassis is 15 1/8"w x 11 7/8" deep

    pedrocols

    Posts : 64
    Join date : 2014-11-24
    Location : Western MA

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by pedrocols on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:16 pm

    I like it!

    nerpissad

    Posts : 58
    Join date : 2012-09-16
    Age : 43
    Location : amsterdam

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by nerpissad on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 am

    Great work, MontanaWay

    corndog71

    Posts : 454
    Join date : 2013-03-19
    Location : It can get windy here

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by corndog71 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am

    Looks great! Very elegant. FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1337
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by deepee99 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:01 pm

    That's flat effin gorgeous.

    zx

    Posts : 194
    Join date : 2011-08-05

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by zx on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 pm

    Thanks for the pic..............Vary Nice...........How much for the 2H Choke?....






    thanks for the site Bob.................

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 pm

    corndog71 wrote:Looks great!  Very elegant.  FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.  

    yes, I'm pretty sure I got that covered. Vent holes under the tube sockets, extra wide pcb tracks and double thickness pcb

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:37 pm

    zx wrote:Thanks for the pic..............Vary Nice...........How much for the 2H Choke?....






    thanks for the site Bob.................

    can't remember the choke price, go to Edcor's web site, it'll be there

    deepee99

    Posts : 1337
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by deepee99 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 pm

    MontanaWay wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:Looks great!  Very elegant.  FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.  

    yes, I'm pretty sure I got that covered. Vent holes under the tube sockets, extra wide pcb tracks and double thickness pcb
    If you notice Holger's PCBs, there are tube sockets all the way around.
    There are some PCBs (not his) that you solder tubes directly in to, thus facilitating heat transfer to the boards and concomitant problems. This would not be an issue, IMHO, with discreet sockets. Plenty of heat-sinking there to go around, as the heat dissipates thru the socket rather than onto the board.


    Guest
    Guest

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:54 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:Looks great!  Very elegant.  FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.  

    yes, I'm pretty sure I got that covered. Vent holes under the tube sockets, extra wide pcb tracks and double thickness pcb
    If you notice Holger's PCBs, there are tube sockets all the way around.
    There are some PCBs (not his) that you solder tubes directly in to, thus facilitating heat transfer to the boards and concomitant problems. This would not be an issue, IMHO, with discreet sockets. Plenty of heat-sinking there to go around, as the heat dissipates thru the socket rather than onto the board.


    not to mention heat rises..... Very Happy......but I guess time will tell, but I did read up on that issue with older pcb designs and what can be done to overcome heat stress on the pcb, and made sure I've done everything to alleviate such issues down the track.....

    deepee99

    Posts : 1337
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by deepee99 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 pm

    Yes, I have noted that heat rises in my home, and it's not always due to the electronics. Just forget to haul out the trash.

    TPW

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2015-09-18

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by TPW on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 pm

    Killer! Great job

    tomlang

    Posts : 34
    Join date : 2009-08-12

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by tomlang on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 am

    I cannot applaud this enough!  Having just learned DesignSpark PCB to create my own PCB's I know how much work is involved.  What design software did you use?

    And is the Cap Board your design also?

    Bravo!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Guest on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:07 am

    tomlang wrote:I cannot applaud this enough!  Having just learned DesignSpark PCB to create my own PCB's I know how much work is involved.  What design software did you use?

    And is the Cap Board your design also?

    Bravo!

    thank you!
    I use Copper Connection, it is simple yet very powerful, and allows me to import non Gerber files and convert them to Gerber!
    Yes, the cap pcb power supply is also my own design.

    Tube Nube

    Posts : 643
    Join date : 2008-12-06
    Age : 53
    Location : Calgary, AB

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Tube Nube on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 pm

    Holger, that's a thing of beauty!

    deepee99

    Posts : 1337
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by deepee99 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:31 pm

    Tube Nube wrote:Holger, that's a thing of beauty!

    You ought to see what two of them look like (M-125s/Big Boppers), side by each . . .
    "Cabin crew, secure the aircraft for take-off."

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 129
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by bluemeanies on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:51 pm

    Really sweet looking with the VU meters.

    Sponsored content

    Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:11 pm


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:11 pm