The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

PAS volume and balance pot replacement question

Dingojazz

PAS volume and balance pot replacement question Empty PAS volume and balance pot replacement question

Post by Dingojazz Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello All,

Having completed the VTA PAS "ultimate" upgrades, I'm planning to replace PAS 2 volume and balance pots with ALPs pots, and am wondering about the "stereo-mono" pot connections to volume and balance.

If the ALPs pots go in for balance and volume, can the "stereo-mono" switch connections be bypassed/omitted completely with impunity?

Thanks

K
    Dingojazz

PAS volume and balance pot replacement question Empty Okay

Post by Dingojazz Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:55 pm

i gather from archives that this is a bit of a can 'o worms, so to simplify, I'm just trying to see if those stereo pot connects need to be maintained.

If it's still too sticky I get it.

Thanks

K

PAS volume and balance pot replacement question Empty Re: PAS volume and balance pot replacement question

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:30 pm

99.9% of people upgrading to the ALPS volume and balance control do not bother with the mono/stereo switch, so that can be totally bypassed.
    Dingojazz

PAS volume and balance pot replacement question Empty Thanks

Post by Dingojazz Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Thank you kindly for the response.

Cheers,

K.
    GP49

PAS volume and balance pot replacement question Empty Re: PAS volume and balance pot replacement question

Post by GP49 Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

You may wish to keep a simple stereo-mono switch. A stereo-mono switch can be useful for those who play mono records or listen to weak FM signals (if the signal is weak, mono FM is less hissy than stereo). A simple SPST switch is all that is needed and in stereo mode it is totally out of circuit, as nothing passes through it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am