The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Share

    scott6058

    Posts : 37
    Join date : 2009-01-21

    PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by scott6058 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:17 am

    May sound silly or could be obvious but how do you tell the difference between the later silver faced PAS units.

    I have one F/S on Epay and may have listed it wrong Sad

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141687481055?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

    Also what is a Scott LM-35 multiplexer and why do some people want them?

    Thanks for any help.

    Kind regards

    Scott


    Last edited by scott6058 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

    peterh

    Posts : 680
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by peterh on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:38 am

    scott6058 wrote:May sound silly or could be obvious but how do you tell the difference between the later silver faced PAS units.

    I have one F/S on Epay and may have listed it wrong Sad

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141687481055?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

    Also what is a Scott LM-35 multiplexer and why do some people want them?

    Thanks for any help.

    Kind regards

    Scott
    This is a PAS-3
    It might be a PAS-3X but it is not visible from the photos.
    price is right

    scott6058

    Posts : 37
    Join date : 2009-01-21

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by scott6058 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am

    Thanks Peter

    Any clue on how to identify a 3X.

    On the back it says only PAS.

    Again thanks for the help.

    Scott

    Bob Latino
    Admin

    Posts : 2414
    Join date : 2008-11-26
    Location : Massachusetts

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by Bob Latino on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:34 pm

    The PAS-3X has a flat spot near the center of the bass and treble knob's rotation. If you turn both the bass and treble knobs slowly all the way from one end to the other, you can usually feel that "null" position. If the bass and treble knobs have the same feel all the way through their rotation then you have a PAS-3.

    Bob

    stewdan

    Posts : 161
    Join date : 2010-03-07
    Age : 78
    Location : Houston Texas

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by stewdan on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:18 pm

    Scott -- the LM-35 is a FM Multiplex unit that is used to convert a Mono FM Tuner to FM Stereo unit. Originally intended for Scott Mono Tuners, but can used on other Mono Tuners (brands).
    Stew

    GP49

    Posts : 735
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by GP49 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:21 pm

    Bob Latino wrote:The PAS-3X has a flat spot near the center of the bass and treble knob's rotation. If you turn both the bass and treble knobs slowly all the way from one end to the other, you can usually feel that "null" position. If the bass and treble knobs have the same feel all the way through their rotation then you have a PAS-3.

    Bob

    Another way to tell: The PAS-3's tone control knobs will rotate through the same size arc as the balance control.

    The PAS-3x tone control knobs have a visibly lesser arc of rotation.


    j beede

    Posts : 328
    Join date : 2011-02-07
    Location : California

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by j beede on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:46 pm

    Another indicator: If you hear a thump or pop through your speakers when you rotate the bass or treble controls off the 12 o'clock position--you have a PAS-3X

    audioregenesis

    Posts : 13
    Join date : 2008-12-30
    Age : 62
    Location : Canada

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by audioregenesis on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:37 pm

    The PAS 3X tone controls do NOT have a mechanical detent at center. There are a few external clues, however, along with obvious internal differences. Here's an article that describes how to tell if it's a PAS 3 or 3X:

    http://audioregenesis.com/documents/Dynaco%20PAS%203%20or%203X.pdf

    As far as "originally" being a PAS 2 or PAS 3/3X - The PAS 2 is usually typified by the brass faceplate, however Dynaco did supply upgrades kits for both the faceplate, and later, 3X tone controls, so any particular PAS, of unknown background, may have started life as a PAS 2, or 3, and been upgraded at some point.

    Tiziano73

    Posts : 29
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Location : Italy

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by Tiziano73 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:08 am

    audioregenesis wrote:The PAS 3X tone controls do NOT have a mechanical detent at center. There are a few external clues, however, along with obvious internal differences. Here's an article that describes how to tell if it's a PAS 3 or 3X:

    http://audioregenesis.com/documents/Dynaco%20PAS%203%20or%203X.pdf

    As far as "originally" being a PAS 2 or PAS 3/3X - The PAS 2 is usually typified by the brass faceplate, however Dynaco did supply upgrades kits for both the faceplate, and later, 3X tone controls, so any particular PAS, of unknown background, may have started life as a PAS 2, or 3, and been upgraded at some point.

    Very nice Article.

    With compliments.

    Tiziano

    Sponsored content

    Re: PAS 2 / PAS 3 Identity

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:59 pm


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:59 pm