The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Recapping a Conn organ amp

rfbro
    rfbro

Recapping  a Conn organ amp Empty Recapping a Conn organ amp

Post by rfbro Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:03 pm

I was hoping someone who has more experience than I could help me out. I came across an old Conn organ and besides having a boat load of 12au7 tubes it basically a stereo amplifier with 12AV6 GT power tubes..Any way I was able to do some simple mods about using it in the bedroom and it sounds good..The transformrest are stamped 1959 it needs recapping can anyone help me with witch and what kind to get..I believe I just need to re place the 3 paper and wax ones with new polarized ones does this sound correct. ...BOB B
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Recapping  a Conn organ amp Empty Re: Recapping a Conn organ amp

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 am

rfbro wrote:I was hoping someone who has more experience than I could help me out. I came across an old Conn organ and besides having a boat load of 12au7 tubes it basically a stereo amplifier with 12AV6 GT power tubes..Any way I was able to do some simple mods about using it in the bedroom and it sounds good..The transformrest are stamped 1959 it needs recapping can anyone help me with witch and what kind to get..I believe I just need to re place the 3 paper and wax ones with new polarized ones does this sound correct. ...BOB B

Hi Bob,

See if you can post a photo of the inside wiring of this amp. We can take a look at it and maybe recommend some things you can do to the amp to increase its reliability.

Bob
    rfbro
    rfbro

Recapping  a Conn organ amp Empty CONN AMP

Post by rfbro Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:13 pm

[url=Recapping  a Conn organ amp 20150616_085046_zpsms3nmmoa]Recapping  a Conn organ amp 20150616_085046_zpsms3nmmoa[/url]
    i HOPE I DID THIS RIGHT
    rfbro
    rfbro

Recapping  a Conn organ amp Empty CONN AMP

Post by rfbro Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:17 pm

I THINK THE 3 PAPER ONES ARE THE ONES I NEED TO CHANGE WITH LIKE VALUES
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:57 pm

rfbro wrote:I THINK THE 3 PAPER ONES ARE THE ONES I NEED TO CHANGE WITH LIKE VALUES

Yes - Change out those 3 paper capacitors .. Later you may want to also replace all those carbon composition resistors with metal film resistors. Carbon composition resistors will usually go UP in value a little after 30+ years. Some of those carbon composition resistors are probably out of spec a little by now ..

Bob
    rfbro
    rfbro

Post by rfbro Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:00 pm

thank you very much for the information Bob when I replace those paper capacitors I'm assuming that they have to be with a positive and negative polarized and also do you have a specific brand or should I just get a RadioShack
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 pm

rfbro wrote:thank you very much for the information Bob when I replace those paper capacitors I'm assuming that they have to be with a positive and negative polarized and also do you have a specific brand or should I just get a RadioShack

Yes - Those paper caps all appear to be electrolytic caps which do have a + and a - side .. RadioShack may have something you can use. Just write down the capacitance and the voltage rating of each cap and replace it with something the same or just a little larger .. Going up in value maybe up to 50% larger on the capacitance would be OK. One of those caps appears to be a 450 volt cap. Just make sure that the voltage rating of all the caps are at least as high as what is in there now.

Bob
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 pm

you should be able to find replacements for those 3 caps here: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitors?filters=Brand%3DGeneric%2CType%3DElectrolytic
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:14 pm

I dug a similar amp out of an old Gulbransen organ, mono, two 6L6's. Made a guitar amp out of it, it was my first refurb project they are easy to work on lots of room and usually only need new caps as noted above. Hand wired in Chicago, IL. Most transformers etc. are very heavy duty as they used them to drive other stuff in the old organs not sure what but it was a killer guitar amp...have fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm