The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Cryogenic treatment?

Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Cryogenic treatment? Empty Cryogenic treatment?

Post by Tube Nube Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:26 am

Cryogenically treated, a.k.a., dipped in snake oil.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Cryogenic treatment? Empty Re: Cryogenic treatment?

Post by Tube Nube Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:27 am

Grrrr. I don't know how that came up as a new topic. It was meant as a reply to the thread below on the cryo treatment of some new player in the expensive tube game.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:04 am

Well, as long as you're on the subject, let's not forget CRYOGENETIC treatment, which is Parenting without Passion. Neutral
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Another thread about cryogenic treatment?

Well, that just frosts my balls!!

Cryogenic treatment? 2013-12-FrostyBalls

I suppose it IS theoretically possible that it could release any residual mechanical stress and improve the molecular structure of the tube, which COULD improve performance, but the tubes are designed and engineered to work within certain parameters, and you'd need to make an exceptional investment and adhere to very stringent quality control to get any consistent results. Just popping them into a can of super coolant ain't gonna cut it.

I went through that with my TAD KT88STRs. Only local source does the cryo thing, and they couldn't categorically guarantee that the treatment wouldn't screw with an already stringent QC selection process performed at TAD. I ended up paying more to buy unmolested tubes direct from the factory.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 am

I love this topic every time it comes up...so fun to goof on it. FYI, I have offered to wave my hands over new tubes and chant unintelligible gibberish for only $100/tube to improve their performance, albeit almost imperceptibly but noticeable to the finely-tuned ear.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I remember people building computers into RV fridges and swearing that they ran 10 times faster ...

I'd have to put a plexy face on my LatinoFridge so I could still see the glow ... probably be good to go with a heat pump setup and keep the condenser outside to keep the noise level down. Hmmmmmmmm ....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am