The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
sKiZo
aguaazul
6 posters

Damping Materials – What, When and Why?

aguaazul
    aguaazul

Damping Materials – What, When and Why? Empty Damping Materials – What, When and Why?

Post by aguaazul Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:56 pm

I’ve used a small patch of sorbothane as an insulator between say PIO caps and a circuit board.
    What material is used inside of line or phono preamps and DAC’s as damping sheets / materials?  
    The Parts Express Lightweight Vinyl Sound Damping Sheet 27" x 40", can you bolt through that?
    Sorbothane sheets, you can’t bolt through. Would it be good to use some under a transformer in a preamp or DAC, etc. if it was cut properly?

I see in the VTA preamps that there are damping sheets used. What’s going in there?

Blue
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Damping Materials – What, When and Why? Empty Re: Damping Materials – What, When and Why?

Post by sKiZo Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 am

Might be better off just adding a piece of DynaMat to the main plates on the equipment if you feel it's a problem?

I went with a custom case on my ST120 and added beveled washers under the heavy iron. I figure there's still some vibration transmitted to the mounting screws, but the washers should damp that. Not sure if it made any difference as I never tried it without ...

Then again, I'd say if you can tap around on a live chassis and not induce any ringing or microphonics, leave well enough alone.
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Damping Materials – What, When and Why? Empty Re: Damping Materials – What, When and Why?

Post by aguaazul Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm putting together a TUBE DAC DIY KIT. Want to prep the chassis to keep my system as quiet as it remarkably is. Looking at some premium new builds around, looks like the Vinyl Sound Damping material is being used. I want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:42 pm

I use the Parts Express dampening material on most of my preamps.
    The DynaMat stuff might be better, haven't tried it, but it costs a lot more.
    I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to bolt something thru sorbothane.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Biggest problem with sorbothane is it bleeds and gets gooey. Adding heat isn't gonna help that any. I steer away from that stuff as it can cause more problems than it solves.

I like Dynamat because it holds up to heat much better than anything else I've tried. I do know it kills resonance ... if it can handle the back wall of a pickup cab, I figure it can handle anything!

Damping Materials – What, When and Why? Dynamat-003
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Great for damping the screaming complaints of the squabbling kids in the back. But, oops, what was ok in the 70's is child neglect or abuse now.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:59 pm

I have one room treated with some panels from The Foam Factory online .. It works well and you have different foam patterns you can use. Link below ...

The Foam Factory

Bob
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 am

aquaazul - what kit are you building?
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:49 am

24bit/192KHz  DAC w/ Tube Buffer. I picked up a Vinyl Sound Damping Sheet and lined the bottom of chassis. The kit has 2 small transformers that I was concerned about. I should finish it up this weekend. Post a link to the pictures.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

I mean where is the kit from?
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Lampucera1.0 + Lampizator EBAY
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:15 pm

The Lampizators are highly regarded, looking forward to your review!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content