The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Share

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by deepee99 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:28 pm

    Just had a quick visit with Glacier John, who dropped by on his way home from an event in Washington yesterday. MontanaWay has visited us twice, and we were even graced by a quick drive-by with His Eminence, Tubes4HiFi. All very pleasant folks.
    Not to mention countless helpful phone calls and emails with other bottle-heads I have met on this board.
    Drs. Bob and Roy, ye have built a nice community.



    audiobill

    Posts : 271
    Join date : 2014-03-13
    Location : Philadelphia

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by audiobill on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:32 pm

    Props to you, too David!

    TMadden

    Posts : 99
    Join date : 2011-12-22

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by TMadden on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:42 pm

    You meet the nicest systems too! This is David's :

    " />


    Kentley

    Posts : 300
    Join date : 2015-03-06
    Age : 64
    Location : Worcester, MA

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by Kentley on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:15 pm

    Thanks for the audio-porn, Dr. Madden! deepee sure has sumpin' to drool over.

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by MontanaWay on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:33 pm

    man those amps sure look sexy!!! Wink bounce Exclamation Exclamation
    how are those Shuguang's holding up...they should be just idling along since there are two in parallel!

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by deepee99 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 pm

    MontanaWay wrote:man those amps sure look sexy!!! Wink bounce Exclamation Exclamation
    how are those Shuguang's holding up...they should be just idling along since there are two in parallel!

    Troy, thanks for posting.
    MWay, I think I hear the Shuguangs yawning once in awhile for lack of work to do. Smile I should probably buy a coupla hundred spares, though.


    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by MontanaWay on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:01 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:man those amps sure look sexy!!! Wink bounce Exclamation Exclamation
    how are those Shuguang's holding up...they should be just idling along since there are two in parallel!

    Troy, thanks for posting.
    MWay, I think I hear the Shuguangs yawning once in awhile for lack of work to do. Smile I should probably buy a coupla hundred spares, though.


    oh...they will do just fine in that setup! :-)

    GlacierJohn

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2014-04-17

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by GlacierJohn on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 pm

    It was great meeting you and your very affectionate dog David. My God what a system! I'll give myself more time for a quality listen next time. Oh and a very cool Soviet submarine clock too.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by deepee99 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

    Amazing what a bottle of Skyy vodka can get you in Russia, ergo the clock for one jug in Vladivostok. They drink gasoline there. I thought it would be like giving sand to the Arabs, but not the case.
    At Kentley's PM request, the tube line-up is as follows (this is for a single Big Bopper).
    On the offensive line, a pair of antique tungsols flank a chrome-dome Sylvania. In the secondary, two more ancient tungsols, flanking an RCA 6SN7.
    In the backfield, two Shuguang rectifiers, acting very bored.
    In the Troy-built SP-14, a quad of precambrian RCA 6SN7s.
    Pretty close to as good as it gets.

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by MontanaWay on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:14 am

    deepee99 wrote:Amazing what a bottle of Skyy vodka can get you in Russia, ergo the clock for one jug in Vladivostok. They drink gasoline there. I thought it would be like giving sand to the Arabs, but not the case.
    At Kentley's PM request, the tube line-up is as follows (this is for a single Big Bopper).
    On the offensive line, a pair of antique tungsols flank a chrome-dome Sylvania. In the secondary, two more ancient tungsols, flanking an RCA 6SN7.
    In the backfield, two Shuguang rectifiers, acting very bored.
    In the Troy-built SP-14, a quad of precambrian RCA 6SN7s.
    Pretty close to as good as it gets.

    just like you...Jurassic!! Razz What a Face cyclops

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by bluemeanies on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 am

    Very nice system David...what are those SPEAKERS?....or have I mistaken those coffins for an audio transmission source

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by deepee99 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 am

    bluemeanies wrote:Very nice system David...what are those SPEAKERS?....or have I mistaken those coffins for an audio transmission source
    Those are Tyler Acoustics D12Xs. Ty hand-builds these speaks and he was actually recommended to me by Dr. Latino, who swears by his Tyler Decades. Ty sells direct, eliminating middle-man and dealer mark-ups, so you save a ton of money.
    Yeah, they're big (about 6 foot) and heavy (200 lbs each) but with the right finish they won't take over a room. He uses Daytons for the active and passive woofers, and Dayton pistons as the mids, and Seas for the tweets. Also housed within each is a 1 kw Keiga Class D amp to run the woofs. Electronically they are simple and elegant, and the built-in woofer amps give you great crossover control to match room acoustics. They are rated at 4 ohms and have a 90 dB/watt efficiency, so even a very low-powered tube amp could drive them just fine.
    The woofs at top and bottom are essentially in a transmission-line cabinet with ports.
    Go to Ty's website, http://www.tyleracoustics.com/index.html
    give him a call and chat him up. Nice guy. Best speaks I will ever own.


    Sponsored content

    Re: You meet the nicest people on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:00 am


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:00 am