The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

A-B comparison

denny9167

A-B comparison

Post by denny9167 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Was wanting to know if anyone has done any direct A-B comparison here of Dynaco, Latino, and Tubes4hifi builds against any other High-end gear! such as ARC, Cary, VTL, or others?

deepee99

Re: A-B comparison

Post by deepee99 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:50 pm

denny9167 wrote:Was wanting to know if anyone has done any direct A-B comparison here of Dynaco, Latino, and Tubes4hifi builds against any other High-end gear! such as ARC, Cary, VTL, or others?

Denny, A-B comparisons are notoriously inaccurate. Too many variables. Roger Russell has a good piece on that. Even a minuscule difference in gain will throw your ear-bones off. Specs, too, can be deceiving. Just my opinion, but look for simplicity in the circuit. The less crud in the signal path, the better. That's what makes the VTA/Dynaco amps sound so pure.

denny9167

Post by denny9167 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:53 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    denny9167 wrote:Was wanting to know if anyone has done any direct A-B comparison here of Dynaco, Latino, and Tubes4hifi builds against any other High-end gear! such as ARC, Cary, VTL, or others?

Denny, A-B comparisons are notoriously inaccurate. Too many variables. Roger Russell has a good piece on that. Even a minuscule difference in gain will throw your ear-bones off.  Specs, too, can be deceiving. Just my opinion, but look for simplicity in the circuit. The less crud in the signal path, the better. That's what makes the VTA/Dynaco amps sound so pure.

Very Happy

corndog71

Post by corndog71 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:02 pm

I've compared my ST120 to my Bryston B60 integrated amp as they are roughly the same power.  The Bryston is pretty good but sounds a bit dry and lifeless compared to the ST120.  

FWIW, my ST120 has many tweaks for better performance. Oh, and I paid more for the Bryston 15 years ago!

pmarcin

Post by pmarcin on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:37 pm

FWIW, I've built the stock, Poseidon, Mapletree octal, Welbourne, SDS, Dynamutt, Dynamull, and
    K&J versions and, like Suzy Creamcheese, I keep coming back to my Mothers, the VTA.The DIYtube and Dynamull are close, sharing the same topology. You can frt eggs with the Welborne The current K&K looks like the Death Star. All sound pretty good. The Mapletree captures that '50s sound. My current ST70 is the Dynamutt.

PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 am

While not having done strict "A-B" type testing (with whatever problems such a test can have), I feel that my Dynakitparts Stereo 70 with performance enhancements compares very favorably to my McIntosh MC275 MKIV, Cary SLI-80 Signature and Parasound Halo A21 amps through my Magnepan, Stirling, Dahlquist, Thiel and Dynaudio speakers.  It's kind of hard to really make a fair comparison, though, due to the differences in available power output and especially the different tube complements among the tubed models.  While individual taste will undoubtedly vary, the original Dynaco circuit still has it where it counts - what I think of as "the high end vibe."  It is probably the most listenable of all my amps, without sacrificing refinement, clarity, frequency extension and without other negatives we typically hear about when someone makes the mistake of comparing a 50 year old original Stereo 70 against a new iteration with a different circuit in it - and then erroneously concluding the original design is passé.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:03 am

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:03 am