The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication Empty Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:09 am

There is a company in Fort Smith, Arkansas (A&M Fabrication) that make custom speakers stands out of square steel tubing for ANY speaker you may want to get up off the floor. They then fill the tubing with sand to add weight so your speakers won't topple over. They also have the outer surface black powder coated for durability. The price (IMHO) is fairly reasonable ($125 - $200 a pair depending on the size of the stand).. Shipping would probably be hefty due to the weight of the stands .. Some speakers do sound better if you get them up off the floor. You may lose a little bass but might gain some better imaging .. You would probably be wise to raise them up at varying heights on a box or some other type of temporary speaker support until you found the height that is best for your speaker. Keep in mind also that some speakers are voiced to be used on the floor and are probably not a good candidate for speaker stands .. Link and photo below ..

A&M Fabrication ... Custom speaker stands ...

Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in the company. The company was mentioned to me by a customer who uses these speaker stands.

Bob

Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication Speaker%20stand_zpsnevti6ym
    jasn54

Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication Empty Re: Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication

Post by jasn54 Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:09 am

I've purchased from A&M just last spring and can highly recommend them.  Rapid response to emails and great after-sales add to the fact that these stands are built like a tank and should last forever.  Pricing is reasonable too.

Bob's suggestion to mimic the stand height before ordering is a good one, as is figuring out the optimal angle for the speaker shelf.  As can be seen in Bob's photo the stands come with adjustable spikes in the back (not shown in my photo), but I have mine raised up a bit higher than I'd have liked.

Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication Mk-ggSS5TrhKjNqOKvGlZlNW_lL3sh0yqxgjoZI2YIDtym32h7OtkBTcFb9C89oeETHFLjJD-KPaMpZnvntSZ5rked7JCjvZ_tSTlpcKG-2UP1MuIgw5xG9KdvzSZOATAbdBrEzUvj88HA_DzxZF2i95eFPfZYmVSW-BqJdBYJMz9q4dudBeAkZ9B2FMg2jr68Ni6p7tZb7JqwOuWm-1saFjzJotW12VfmBJkaKIru0JBZ1v9VpSaylfDsbhXIcBriIRAXbyrR0nf_2e0IstGYiWlwgwSGSARkna0kEAEc-B7J9N76OpNsNDdMgKEU3CmGVnad4VtO6U381OLgBWGMRIyQvH3esMeMJ4KAsqQcM_TCxoNKlE_jXK-7M6qdYtaTfeNpmc44otaMFeSvz-urpRGgIJKNBZ3Wdx6ARrv2WrlbI4o4FgvhPtoE2oV2UXeYxI3TlAyJqxuKfQGd9hpgp2MJSW0IP1c8VoTAq0VShofarC7BYBAVhn3huJSH7muLvxlAPWSm122F6fLSyBKCo=w636-h849-no
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication Empty Re: Custom speaker stands from A&M Fabrication

Post by sKiZo Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:24 pm

So, they ARE adjustable for tilt front to back, but the less tilt, the more coupling? Seems strange they wouldn't also isolate the front section, maybe with removable spikes ... I imagine you could order them that way if you so desired ...

Long as we're on the subject ...

My McIntosh XR16 big box speakers require coupling with the floor, but I've found that adding a square of horse stall mat "tunes" the balloon floor's resonance nicely. A bit of boom echo otherwise. Squares are cut a few inches larger than the speaker bases. They also give a bit less than an inch of additional height, which works well for vertical tweeter alignment.

I also found out that you can machine the stuff quite nicely with standard power tools. A jig saw to cut the edges, and a round over bit in a router made them look nice. One warning ... the rubber stinks like Satan's butthole when machining it, so do that outside, and give it some time to "breathe" before bringing it in.

* It's heavy - a 4x6 mat is standard, and weighs in at around 100 pounds. I suppose you could stack them for additional height - just dress the edges with a bullnose. Got mine at the local farm and fleet.

PS ... long as I'm thinking about it - I expect the matting would also make for decent isolation under the amps and turntable. Was gonna do that a while back, but spaced it. I figure my tube stuff and table are on the top shelf of my rack, so one full size piece should do the trick.
    jhoak

Post by jhoak Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 pm

They look nice. I wonder if my Klipsch Heresys would benefit from a pair?

Pretty ominous message displayed on their home page.

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/#!

I hope they can bounce back from their problems.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 am

jhoak wrote:They look nice. I wonder if my Klipsch Heresys would benefit from a pair?

Pretty ominous message displayed on their home page.

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/#!

I hope they can bounce back from their problems.

Hereseys need to be on the floor. If you put them up on stands you can kiss the bass goodbye.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am