The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

ST 70 function

polarflux

ST 70 function

Post by polarflux on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi

Does anyone know where to find a detailed explanation how each component an ST 70 functions. Or, perhaps even a generalized discussion of tube amplification. I know this is a big question.

Thanks

Phil

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: ST 70 function

Post by Bob Latino on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum,

You can probably find out a lot of information online if you just Google "tube amplifier design" or "tube amplifier theory". One of the best books out there that I have read is "Audio Reality" by Bruce Rozenblit. I didn't buy the book but I did find it at a local library and checked it out for a week. Bruce also has the book available for download (for $20!) on his web site here > Audio Reality book

Bob

polarflux

Post by polarflux on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the info. Yeah, I know of that book through looking at the Transcendent Audio site, but I was not aware there was any discussion of tube audio engineering in the book. I see if I can locate a copy.

I heard you are a fan of the grounded grid preamp. What do you think of it? I have had my eye on that particular kit for sometime.

Thanks

Phil

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 pm

polarflux wrote:Hey, thanks for the info. Yeah, I know of that book through looking at the Transcendent Audio site, but I was not aware there was any discussion of tube audio engineering in the book. I see if I can locate a copy.

I heard you are a fan of the grounded grid preamp. What do you think of it? I have had my eye on that particular kit for sometime.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

I was a fan of the Transcendent Grounded Grid preamp ($499 in kit form) but the new tubes4hifi SP-8SE (Special Edition) preamp has more features like gain/balance controls, a stepped attenuator built in, a much larger power transformer and a phono input. None of these are found on the Transcendent Grounded Grid preamp. The tubes4hifi SP8-SE (IMHO) also sounds better. Cleaner sound with better bass. You can add the stepped attenuator to the Transcendent preamp but that brings the price up to about $640. The tubes4hifi preamp SP8-SE does cost a little more ($799) but the extra features and the increased sound quality IMHO are worth it. Link and comparision interior photos of both preamps. The Transcendent preamp is shown with its optional +$140(!) stepped attenuator.

Tubes4hifi preamp page

Transcendent preamp below ...

Tubes4hifi SP8-SE preamp below ...

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:13 pm

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:13 pm