The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

4-ohm vs. 8-ohm transformer taps

eickmewg

4-ohm vs. 8-ohm transformer taps Empty 4-ohm vs. 8-ohm transformer taps

Post by eickmewg Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I have two tube amps, a kit-built VTA ST-120 and a Yaqin MC-30L.  I recently took the Yaqin out of storage to alternate it with the ST-120.  The Yaqin has separate 4-ohm and 8-ohm speaker connectors.  I've always used the 4-ohm connectors on the Yaqin and I wired the 4-ohm transformer tap to the positive speaker connectors on the ST-120.  However, in hooking up the Yaqin I inadvertently used the 8-ohm speaker connector.  I am using some Polk SRS SDA-2.3 speakers that have a nominal rating of 4 ohms.

I was somewhat surprised that using the Yaqin 8-ohm connectors gave me what I perceived as better and tighter bass.  With that in mind, I decided to hook up the 8-ohm transformer leads in the VTA-120.  Again, with my speakers I think the bass is more pronounced and drum attacks sharper.  But, I also think at the same preamp setting I lose a little volume through the VTA-120.

So, is this all in my head or is there some realistic basis for these observations?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

4-ohm vs. 8-ohm transformer taps Empty Re: 4-ohm vs. 8-ohm transformer taps

Post by Bob Latino Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:29 pm

In regards to paragraph 1 > It is possible that although your Polk speakers are rated at 4 ohms, they are actually more compatible (because of their impedance curve at different frequencies) with 8 ohm taps on your Yaqin amp.

You may lose a little volume through the VTA ST-120 when switching from the Yaqin to the ST-120 amp because the ST-120 has lower gain than the Yaqin. The Yaqin has (like many Chinese amps) fairly high gain in which the bulk of the volume comes on fairly quickly.

Bob

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm