The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
corndog71
mazeeff
deepee99
MarcVBelgium
Bob Latino
audiobill
10 posters

McIntosh MC275 guts

audiobill

McIntosh MC275 guts Empty McIntosh MC275 guts

Post by audiobill Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

McIntosh MC275 guts Empty Re: McIntosh MC275 guts

Post by Bob Latino Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:11 pm

A lot of those McIntosh original amps like the MC275 bring big bucks in Japan. 650,000 yen is about $5400 USD. That would be a real high price for that amp in the USA. A lot of the pricing may have to do with the fact that probably not too many of those original McIntosh amps were ever shipped to Japan. All the McIntosh amps are well made and very reliable. Every Mac amp that I ever heard (unfortunately) sounded to me a little just a little soft on the top end. A customer had the same impression when he compared the two in December of 2013. See link below ..

Comparing the VTA ST-120 with the McIntosh MC275

Bob
    MarcVBelgium
    MarcVBelgium

Post by MarcVBelgium Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:53 pm

I have both amps MC275 MkV and St-120....... I've changed all driver tubes on the MC275 woth NOS (Philips Mil.spec) tubes and the McIntosh labeled KT-88 were changed by the Genalex Gold Lion KT-88. With these changes the amps are really up to each other.... Remains the fact that the Mc is far more expensive...
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:23 pm

MarcVBelgium wrote:I have both amps MC275 MkV and St-120....... I've changed all driver tubes on the MC275 woth NOS (Philips Mil.spec) tubes and the McIntosh labeled KT-88 were changed by the Genalex Gold Lion KT-88. With these changes the amps are really up to each other.... Remains the fact that the Mc is far more expensive...

It strikes me as odd, too, that "high-end" amp and pre-amp makers will use average or bargain basement tubes.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:08 am

On the show "How its Made", on the Science channel, they showed how a new McIntosh 275 is made. I was shocked by the lack of quality, and the abundant use of spade lugs. There seems to be more focus on the green LED's that light up under each tube. Both the chassis and PC boards seem very flimsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HgS6gvokEI

Mike
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:19 pm

I wondered how toroidal transformers were made.

https://youtu.be/82PpCzM2CUg
    polarflux
    polarflux

Post by polarflux Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:25 pm

I thought it was black strap molasses in those transformers for that sweet sound?
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:54 pm

No point to point that's for sure....
    MarcVBelgium
    MarcVBelgium

Post by MarcVBelgium Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:42 am

mazeeff wrote: On the show "How its Made", on the Science channel, they showed how a new McIntosh 275 is made. I was shocked by the lack of quality, and the abundant use of spade lugs. There seems to be more focus on the green LED's that light up under each tube. Both the chassis and PC boards seem very flimsy.

Mike

No Rolling Eyes If there was a "dislike" knob here, I would use it .......
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:51 am

A lot of people don't know that McIntosh as well as Audio Research are now owned by Fine Sounds of Milan, Italy. Yes - the McIntosh amps are still made in Binghamton, NY but all the corporate decisions of what to make and "How It's Made" are undoubtedly made in Italy.

Bob
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:02 pm

mazeeff wrote:On the show "How its Made", on the Science channel, they showed how a new McIntosh 275 is made. I was shocked by the lack of quality, and the abundant use of spade lugs. There seems to be more focus on the green LED's that light up under each tube. Both the chassis and PC boards seem very flimsy.

Mike

I'm not scared by this film, on the contrary using spade lugs ( crimped on the cables) is a
    good way to make reliable connections.

What did concerned me was the tube sockets that was only soldered on a circuit board.
    A tube-roller could easily damage the soldering and/or the board itself. Much better
    soild be if the sockets were fastened with distances in the board, or even better in
    the steel chassie.

Filling the transformer containers will prevent any future rewinding, and also to some
    extent reduce cooling, which might be a problem. If mechanical stiffness is needed
    it's much better to vacuum-impregnate with lacquer. The filling however might not
    be a problem in itself.

Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:17 pm

My main complaint is why all the silicon in a tube amp?? I also noted the tube sockets being soldered to the board.

The green LEDs take away from the natural glow of the 12AT7 tubes and look flashy just for flashy's sake. I don't get this trend of lighting up tubes from the bottom when they produce their own wonderful glow from within.
    MarcVBelgium
    MarcVBelgium

Post by MarcVBelgium Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Bob Latino wrote:A lot of people don't know that McIntosh as well as Audio Research are now owned by Fine Sounds of Milan, Italy. Yes - the McIntosh amps are still made in Binghamton, NY but all the corporate decisions of what to make and "How It's Made" are undoubtedly made in Italy.

Bob

In may 2014 there has been a MBO (management byout) from the Fine Sounds Group by Charlie Randall (with McIntosh since 1985) and Mauro Grange. So, as far as McIntosh is concerned , I really beleive that the decisions still (or...again) are made in Binghampton.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/grange-and-randall-lead-management-buyout-of-fine-sounds-group-in-partnership-with-lbo-france-and-yarpa-2014-05-09

Whether some friends here consider the Mc275 "not well made and lacking quality" (a statement I totally disagree with),I can assure you that it still is a very, very good sounding amp.
    Loving it is not "heresy"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am