The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes Empty Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes

Post by Bob Latino Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:55 pm

There is a fellow based on Nantucket Island here in Massachusetts, Jamie Howarth, who is specializing in removing wow, flutter and any speed irregularities found in master tapes based on the variations in the ultra high frequency bias tones (100K - 400K) found on these master tapes. This is a proprietary DSP that was developed by Mr. Howarth. You can read more about Plangent Processes at the link below ..

Plangent Processes

Bob
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes Empty Re: Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes

Post by arledgsc Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 am

Interesting! Thanks
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes Empty Re: Plangent Processes - A new way to remove speed variations in master tapes

Post by sKiZo Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Long as we're on the subject, Brian Davies has some neat tools for audio restoration. I've been playing around with ripping some old long play 78rpm records to digital. I spin them at 45rpm on my table using a Shure M93E with a conical stylus, and then use Audacity's Speed Multiplier to adjust playback speed. Kinda like half mastering, only subject to whatever noise is in the source. Their built in filters for noise DO get rid of a lot of the noise you'd expect from records that old, but fall short of what I'd like.

Brian's tools do a much better job. More of a learning curve as it's more of a manual process and there's more tweaks to have to play with, but I've been getting some real decent results. I'll keep tweaking, and eventually be satisfied enough to actually get ta rippin'!

Some are pay, some are free, some are trial, but they do a whole lot more than just repair clicks ...

http://www.clickrepair.net/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am