The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Northern Electric KT88

Northern Electric KT88

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:56 pm

not sure if many members here have heard of the Northern Electric KT88.
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried, but at $170.00 a pop...I'm not holding my breath! Just another PS Vane off shoot/copy cat?
    Here is a link to The Tube Store's KT88 page, http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88-Tube-Types/Northern-Electric-KT88
    sKiZo

Re: Northern Electric KT88

Post by sKiZo on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Seems to me Northern Electric was the Canadian brand name for Marconi if I remember right ...

I've got a couple 12AU7's badged as Marconi that say Made in Canada, so I guess they had their own plant and production? Real decent tubes. I do know Northern Electric was more into telephone and comm equipment, sub-contracting a lot of work for Bell ...

But I digress ... I'm assUming somebody bought the name at a copyright fire sale and slapped it on some tubes. I'm also assUming it was these guys ...

http://www.tube-fullmusic.com/

ValleySounds

Post by ValleySounds on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:22 am

I bought one of there 12au7's. It is a really nice clean sounding tube but after 2 weeks it became the most monophonic tube I have. Put it in the center position in the st-120 and sounds like I have a bee hive in each speaker.
    The kt-88 are not worth the money if you ask me. There are better tubes out there for much less.

mhardyman

Post by mhardyman on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:28 am

I haven't sprung for the KT88/c but I can tell you that TJ/Full Music line of triodes is most excellent.  Their 300B/n is superb and I would really like to have a taste of their 2A3.  They are a boutique operation and I have no opinion whatsoever of the small signal tubes they make.
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Any other candidates as to who may be building those NE rascals? Hard to tell as there's not much available on either ... Only real difference I see is the NE has two top plates ... easy enough mod if they were custom ordered from TJ/FM's plant.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:46 am