The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
j beede
Bob Latino
corndog71
steve's garage
8 posters

Mark III rebuild troubleshooting...no output!!!

steve's garage

Mark III rebuild troubleshooting...no output!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Mark III rebuild troubleshooting...no output!!!

Post by steve's garage Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:03 am

Seems like success. Through my stereo amplifier I'm getting great audio and its reasonably loud but not as loud as I expected 60 tube watts to be. I've got it going into an 8ohm 150w rated speaker. If I turn the pre-amp (amplifier technically) up to a certain point I get crackles. Any ideas?
    audiobill

Mark III rebuild troubleshooting...no output!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Mark III rebuild troubleshooting...no output!!!

Post by audiobill Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:43 am

There are some great pedal format guitar preamps......

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:54 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 am

DUDE!!!! Four pages of troubleshooting and you were plugging your gee-tar directly into the amp??? You need a hot preamp for that!!! The board knows me as the musician guy who used Dynas in bands and PA stuff all through the 60s 70s and 80s and when I saw you were plugging your guitar directly in I knew what was up....and when you get a preamp in front of it you will be blown away. It will kick Marshall or Mesa a$$. Many early builders put stock Mark IIIs directly into their amp heads (Sunn specifically, and a guy here in Omaha who built many locally under the "Furnace" label). And yes, all my Dynas also have 1/4" jacks, much to the disdain and ridicule of hifi purists. Probably wasn't a good idea to ruin the chassis and now I wish I hadn't but it was so convenient on stage to hook up speakers and stuff we drilled it out and went band standard. That hurts the value of the old stuff.

Have fun the only thing I found in gigging them is it's a hassle to carry them around and takes additional time to set up but holy crap either guitar or bass it is a monster setup. Properly working it will have a ton of gain but you need enough to push it hard with your preamp. Many pedals are made to go directly into a low-gain guitar amp input and you need to jack up the master volume enough to get line level sufficient to drive the Dyna. Since you are using hifi equipment for band use you will need to experiment to get the right balance of preamp input to get the gain and/or overdrive you want. I'd be interested to hear how this progresses.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:51 pm

steve's garage wrote:Seems like success. Through my stereo amplifier I'm getting great audio and its reasonably loud but not as loud as I expected 60 tube watts to be. I've got it going into an 8ohm 150w rated speaker. If I turn the pre-amp (amplifier technically) up to a certain point I get crackles. Any ideas?

What's the sensitivity of your speaker? Ultimately you need a preamp to give the amp a good clean signal to work with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 am