The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear Empty Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear

Post by Bob Latino Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:26 am

Someone informed me of these fiberglass scratch brushes that they have out now. They are normally used to clean jewelry but apparently work really well on electronic gear also. You can remove the extra flux from solder connections, clean tube pins, work the brush head into a tube socket and clean each socket pin. They are being sold for about $6 to $8 each on Ebay and other places. You can get refills once the fiberglass wears down ... See Youtube video below ..

Bob
    j beede
    j beede

Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear Empty Re: Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear

Post by j beede Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:27 pm

I have used a similar brush from Harbor Freight for a couple years. I find it to be too coarse for use on solder joints--it will damage the surface of FR4/PCB material. It does a great job cleaning plated battery terminals in portable equipment damaged by failed/leaking manganese batteries.
    Pat R.
    Pat R.

Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear Empty Re: Fiberglass scratch brush pen .. clean electronic gear

Post by Pat R. Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 pm

I keep a small stock of these hanging around.. they are especially useful for cleaning brass buttons on steppers in the old pinball machines I collect.

Here is another use for them I have found completely by accident..

*Warning - before trying this do a test spot*

I found that using deoxit and a fiberglass brush I could really clean up a brushed metal face plate on a vintage preamp.

I had a dirty, but otherwise nice Harman Kardon Citation I preamp. This has a brushed finish on the face plate.. so I wondered what I could to to clean it. I thought the fiberglass brush would give me the control to clean near lettering without wiping over it. Just for the heck of it I tried a spritz of deoxit and guess what! It did a fantastic job of cleaning up the faceplate. Just remember to move the fiberglass brush in the direction of the brushed pattern on the faceplate.
    BTW I got deoxit on lettering with no ill effects..

*disclaimer, do this at your own risk. It worked for me, but do your own experimenting!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:57 am

Those little pads made by Mr. Clean also work wonders on corroded contacts and you can find them in any grocery store, even out here in the sticks.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:20 pm

use pipe cleaners for tube sockets

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm