The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

I got a Chi-Amp for Christmas!

wildiowa

I got a Chi-Amp for Christmas!

Post by wildiowa on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:35 am

My well-meaning but technically-challenged brother has seen my Dynas and Citation II and often comments on how I am into tubes...and today for early Christmas I found a Monoprice PID 13194 from him under the tree. This is a new Chinese low-power (20/25 watts per side?) amp billed as a hybrid with tube pre section and Class D power side. Goes for about $150. After reading comments here on some of the Chinese stuff, and seeing one unit still working even when you pulled the tube out of the socket, I am a bit curious as to what I have here. The comments and reviews online are not too brutal..although right out of the box it looks like one tube is already smoked as it has a big white haze on the top where the silver should be...have not even plugged it in yet pending comments and input here and a new tube at a minimum.

Tubes used are a 6N1 and 6P15 per channel.

OK, not a Dyna and off topic perhaps, but anyone seen these? Might hook it up in the bedroom or for the TV. Most importantly to me, can I roll other tubes in this thing? What is compatible that I might use instead of these cheapo things it came with and not blow it up? It looks like I have to replace one defective tube minimum, maybe something on hand or order a better set of Russian or Bulgarian tubes?

I would have preferred the $150 in cash to put towards a quality preamp kit, but this is what I got...any info from anyone? Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Tube Nube

Re: I got a Chi-Amp for Christmas!

Post by Tube Nube on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:56 pm

As I see it, the only way to preserve your relationship is to put that new amp in the position of honor, and get rid of your ancient Citation II. It just so happens I have an interest in Citation IIs, and will happily offer you $10 per pound (of weight) for the artifact.

:-D

Seriously,

I think that "hybrid" only lights up the tube, but tubes are not in the audio chain at all, iirc.

Were I you, I'd flog that POS on fleabay, get your self a Miniwatt or Miniwatt2, convince your brother thats what he got you, and you can all have a laugh about how good it is for the money. If you read any review you can find, youll see it is a "giant killer" s.e.t.cintegrated amp that apparently sounds great. I think I may get one for the office.

But seriously again, I will take your citation off your hands if you want, but as I unspderstand it, a Citation II with McShane upgrades, or as rebuilt by Sachs, is what you might well call a "holy grail" amplifier. Sell it at your peril!

Tom

Post by Tom on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:53 am

Chia Amp?
    Dang.
    All I got was a chia zombie...

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:43 am

They make great back scratchers!

So does the Chia Zombie ...  clown

Some of the Chinese electronics will surprise you though. I love my little Maverick TubeMagic D1+ DAC. Amazing the difference that little tube can make in the overall sound of the system. I stumbled across a Tesla 6CC42 (ultra rare) that substitutes nicely for the stock Chinese tube (which suffered severe suckage in comparison) and an upgrade to discrete op amps. Few minutes worth of work swapping out the socketed parts, and it really SINGS!

Something else to look out for is counterfeits. Jolida especially has some serious issues with that, and even post a warning on their website that if you don't buy direct from them, you're taking yer chances.

wildiowa

Post by wildiowa on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:57 am

Ch-ch-ch-China! We will see how it compares. I got freaked out in an earlier post where Bob literally pulled a tube on some sonic enhancer or something and it kept running...I think the consensus was they just hooked it up so it LOOKED like a tube was in the mix, but it was not even in the circuit. So I am suspicious, plus the blown tube right out of the box. They are sending a replacement, but it appears I can get a higher quality EL84 that is equivalent and get rid of these cheapies. Now, does anyone know what might work in place of a 6N2?? If I am shunned and ostracized because of bringing this Chinese stuff on the board I will understand if no one responds to my query.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Apparently the chinese tubes designated 6N2 can be substituted with Russian 6N2P or 6SS41, and American 6AX7.

wildiowa

Post by wildiowa on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Many thanks....appreciate the help.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:26 pm

I'd check with jim mcshane of mcshanedesign.net to see if he can help you. He's a member of, and friend to this forum and super knowledgeable.

The tube depot doesnt have any in stock but the tubestore.com has a Russian 6n2p-eb for 10 bux.

anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 pm

I don't normally post here too often, but this time I feel I must.

I was innocently perusing my email today, and I get many updates from rakuten.com (formerly buy.com).  I do a quick scan and delete, usually, but not today.  I spotted this:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/stereo-hybrid-tube-amp-with-bluetooth/q/sellerid/37816583/293872176.html?scid=em_Promotional_20160215Daily&adid=17070&rmatt=tsid:1012038|cid:4438|cgid:44383068682  and felt I should post this in case anyone was interested in seeing for yourself this "tube" amp as given to the original poster.

I am not looking to get one, but at $150 and free shipping, I had better delete this from my inbox before I offend my auditory senses...

20 to 25 watts with one puny output tube per channel?  I'm afraid of what they mean by "hybrid".  Tubes used for preamp and most likely chips for the rest of the circuit.  I thought I saw a review of one but I'm not able to find it now.

Interesting, no?

Tony

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:00 pm

anbitet66 wrote:

20 to 25 watts with one puny output tube per channel?  I'm afraid of what they mean by "hybrid".  Tubes used for preamp and most likely chips for the rest of the circuit.  I thought I saw a review of one but I'm not able to find it now.

Tony

Be the first to review it on Rakuten formerly Buy.com! Or not...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:26 pm

Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:26 pm