The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
wildiowa
Bob Latino
6 posters

The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ...

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ... Empty The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ...

Post by Bob Latino Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:44 am

Below is a link to JAC Music's history of the development of the KT88 output tube. Some good info also on faked NOS KT88 output tubes being sold on Ebay and other internet web sites ... Lots of info also on other types of octal output tubes.  Worth reading if you are a tube person ... many photos ...

JAC Music's history of the KT88

Bob
    wildiowa

The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ... Empty Re: The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ...

Post by wildiowa Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Really fascinating information and a great read, but a bit depressing after buying at least two quad sets of the "new" Gold Lion KT88's. From this info, the lowest rated tube of all and we can get the same thing from Electro Harmonix for half the price. This new market for tubes complete with counterfeits and fakes and all kinds of chicanery is a drag. I did have trouble with a couple Gold Lion KT88's letting go never was sure if it started with the amp or the tube. What to do? Who's right? Even if you can afford the old original stuff you still don't know what you're getting the fakes are so very sophisticated and as the dude pointed out you may be getting a tube that is pretty much used up. In any case the guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has credibility. Is this also a problem with 6550's?
    Kentley
    Kentley

The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ... Empty Re: The history of the KT88 and other octal output tubes ... Link ...

Post by Kentley Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:39 pm

I must agree with wildiowa. This is quite unnerving stuff. However, I still trust good ol' Jim McShane, who puts the new Gold Lions through their paces before he sells them to us. It does sound as if the author of this screed has had a bad experience with New Sensor. And possibly he is -- er -- a bit biased. Perhaps Our Man Jim can weigh in on this topic.....???
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:53 pm

I was thinking the same thing and wondering what Jim and others think about this. There are many folks with a "dawg in the fight" and conflicting information/opinions abound so I guess you gotta go with your own experiences and what sounds good to you, what you are willing to spend and what stands up to hours of listening. I've got the second quad of Gold Lions in and nothing has gone blooey, yet. First set was a bit funky and troublesome but I have also since added a Variac set at 119 VAC.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Take "JAC's" opinions with some distance, not everything is what is seems to be.
    Blitzen
    Blitzen

Post by Blitzen Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Notice that the last update of the page is three years ago. Obviously the history should all be fine, but recent products and opinions thereof are changeable.
    It's always best to check what people are saying about which tubes right now before you buy newly manufactured! And having the burn-in and matching services previously mentioned is valuable especially with power tubes.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Blitzen wrote:Notice that the last update of the page is three years ago. Obviously the history should all be fine, but recent products and opinions thereof are changeable.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't have noticed, being senile and all.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:23 pm

I think as a group here, we should stick with Jim McShane; I've had excellent advise and service from Jim. Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm