The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Problem with a MK IV

Austuriano

Problem with a MK IV Empty Problem with a MK IV

Post by Austuriano Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:47 am

I am having a problem with one of my MKIV's. It's intermittent which makes it tough to troubleshoot. When I power up the amp, one of the power tubes has a pulsing blue glow around the interior metal parts. The power transformer develops a very loud hum. I have a switch which allows for the amp to be run in ultra-linear to triode mode. Only one of the power tubes is reacting this way, and when I switch from triode to UL the problem switches to the other power tube. So as you look at the amp from the crossover side; in triode the right tube has the problem, in UL it is the left tube. I am not sure how to troubleshoot the problem. I am using Roy Mottram's high-gain 12AT7 boards which are excellent. I have checked the power tubes which are 6P3S-E, and they are fine.
    I would appreciate any thoughts, or advice you might have on this issue

Thanks,

Michael
    peterh
    peterh

Problem with a MK IV Empty Re: Problem with a MK IV

Post by peterh Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:07 am

It seems to be oscillating ( hint, power transformer get's loaded).
    Confirm with a scope. Then make sure you have grid-stoppers ( 100ohm ) on g2,
    and grid-stoppers ( 1k ) on the grids. All carbon resistors.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am