The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
peterh
pmarcin
6 posters

Read 'em and Weep

pmarcin
    pmarcin

Read 'em and Weep Empty Read 'em and Weep

Post by pmarcin Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:30 pm

For all fellow tube nerds:
    Review of Poseidon vs vanilla

Enjoyable zoning out.

Read 'em and Weep Empty Re: Read 'em and Weep

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 pm

pmarcin wrote:For all fellow tube nerds:
       Review  of Poseidon vs vanilla

Enjoyable zoning out.
    I have two comments :
    1 - i do not use 50w at 20khz in my music listening, the diffs at lower power levels were close to none. The main reason to replace 6an8 is to use some new production tubes imho

2 - nice to se that he likes JJ KT88 , i have been selling them for 2 years now. And yes,
    JJ is made in slovakia, not china!

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:06 pm

That El Paso Tube amp video does not tell the whole story about the SOUND of a tube (or a solid state) amp. There are many amps that MEASURE GOOD but do not necessarily SOUND GOOD. As an example, most solid state amps will measure with respect to their distortion and bandwidth figures better than most tube amps. The better measurements do not necessarily correlate with better sound. One of the best examples of all time is the solid state Dynaco Stereo 120 that came out in the mid '60's. This amp was hyped in many audio magazines at the time as "the future of amplifiers" and writers in these mags made statements like >"Sell your tube gear now while they still have some value because solid state is going to completely take over" Kinda reminds me of what the Hi-Fi mags said in the early '80's about CD's completely replacing vinyl records as a signal source - lol...

About a month after the solid state Dynaco Stereo 120 came out, my local Hi-Fi dealer got one in as a demo model. I stopped in and listened to this amp. Being blunt and honest, although they claimed great distortion figures for the Stereo 120, this amp was and still is the WORST SOUNDING audio amp I have ever heard in my life .. harsh, brittle, annoying sounding.

Moral of the story > You should never buy anything on the basis of distortion or bandwidth figures. Go and listen for yourself and let your ears help you make your choices ..

Bob
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Bob Latino wrote:That El Paso Tube amp video does not tell the whole story about the SOUND of a tube (or a solid state) amp. There are many amps that MEASURE GOOD but do not necessarily SOUND GOOD. As an example, most solid state amps will measure with respect to their distortion and bandwidth figures better than most tube amps. The better measurements do not necessarily correlate with better sound. One of the best examples of all time is the solid state Dynaco Stereo 120 that came out in the mid '60's. This amp was hyped in many audio magazines at the time as "the future of amplifiers" and writers in these mags made statements like >"Sell your tube gear now while they still have some value because solid state is going to completely take over" Kinda reminds me of what the Hi-Fi mags said in the early '80's about CD's completely replacing vinyl records as a signal source - lol...

About a month after the solid state Dynaco Stereo 120 came out, my local Hi-Fi dealer got one in as a demo model. I stopped in and listened to this amp. Being blunt and honest, although they claimed great distortion figures for the Stereo 120, this amp was and still is the WORST SOUNDING audio amp I have ever heard in my life .. harsh, brittle, annoying sounding.

Moral of the story > You should never buy anything on the basis of distortion or bandwidth figures. Go and listen for yourself and let your ears help you make your choices ..

Bob

I think you are spot on Bob, I worked many years as an electronic maints tech in manufacturing, and seen many plans from engineering that looked good on paper but wasn't practical on the shop floor.

TM
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:11 am

Add to that...different samples of the Dynaco Stereo 120 sounded different from each other! In some cases, it was like listening to a completely different model of amplifier. The variations probably also explained why some of them blew up if you looked at them funny, while others perked along with no problems for decades.

The audio perfectionist magazine that reviewed the Dynaco Stereo 120 as sounding better than a pair of Mk IIIs may have had a specially-tweaked sample. Such things can happen when review samples are provided by the manufacturer.
    zx

Post by zx Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:31 pm

As for myself....M3s have always been the Dynaco amps for me.....any of the new boards I have used an heard..6922...12x..12au....6SN7 the best of all too me....all sound darker to my old ears....
    that's why I have stayed with the 6AN8s..... big 6550s fan... ....even with the 6AN8 the KT88 make things darker....but that's me....I let the tube preamp add my color
    I only payed $4.ea for my NOS 6AN8s a year ago....finding good sounding one never been a prob......
    I like this guy...lot of good info...thanks for posting this one....but yes your ears... well tell you what tone you like...better stick with that.....have fun with tube sound

Thanks for the site Bob..................

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am