The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Free digital mulitmeter PSA

audiobill

Free digital mulitmeter PSA Empty Free digital mulitmeter PSA

Post by audiobill Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Harbor Freight is running a promotion for a free digital multimeter with ANY purchase. It's in their flyer.

I bought a pack of zip ties for $2 ($1.60 after 20% sale discount) and got a free meter.

It measures millivolts to three digits identical to my Fluke 177, great for bias checking.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Free digital mulitmeter PSA Empty Re: Free digital mulitmeter PSA

Post by deepee99 Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:39 pm

audiobill wrote:Harbor Freight is running a promotion for a free digital multimeter with ANY purchase.  It's in their flyer.

I bought  a pack of zip ties for $2 ($1.60 after 20% sale discount) and got a free meter.

It measures millivolts to three digits identical to my Fluke 177, great for bias checking.
    Darn! Couldn't find this deal on their website. It must be a catalogue-only thang.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Whoa there audiobill,

It may measure to three digits but I'd never say identical to any Fluke meter.  You may want to keep a carbon/zinc "D" cell around as a standard to test the meter for accuracy as I've had been given a couple just like these by my Dad in the past and the best I would use them for is to keep one in the tool box in the trunk of the car "just in case", and more than a couple of times found that its accuracy was lacking.

And the first time you forget to switch from ohms to a voltage scale you will be very glad you got it for free because I don't think there is a part number to the "replacement meter smoke" it will vent. Razz

One of my best meters is from Radio Shack from over 25 years ago.  The little pocket one that used to be in a case like a calculator.  Still have it in the car, and I only changed the LR44 batteries twice in all these years.  Not very expensive either, maybe $25.  And it is overload protected.  I usually test that feature out almost every time I use it.

Tony
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 pm

My Fluke actually demanded a new 9-volt battery the other day. First time I've owned one that long; they tend to get stolen or loaned-out to forgetful people. Kind of like using a Bic pen until the ink dries out . . .
    One of the unique features of the Fluke is that it is double-fused, can't recall the ratings, but some genius there discovered that the lower-rated fuse, if blown, could melt the conductor, creating a dead short. So it is backed up with a higher-rated fuse.
    I knew old John Fluke. Crusty old SOB, but QC and innovation were everything to him.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 pm

anbite, it measured my bias at the same test point at .554, and so did my Fluke.

That's about 1/2 volt. I would never use it for high voltages.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:51 pm

just FYI, I've got 3 of these cheap Harbor Freight DVMs, and they great for measuring bias, and so cheap that's why I have several.
    They also measure battery CURRENT, which tells you alot more about battery quality than a simple voltage check.
    They also measure DC up to 1000v so you can check your 500v B+.
    One of the 3 I have died on the resistance scale, but for almost free I can't complain, and I've still got two other good ones.
    I use the 3rd one as a battery checker (I go thru ALOT of AA batteries, and also recharge alot of NiCad AAs)
    yeah, I got a flyer in the mail yesterday, the sale doesn't show up on their website, but worst case it's $5.99 3 identical ones with different SKUs.
    Most of the time they've got it as a sale item for $3.99. Get on their mailing list. Great place for tools!!
    I use one of their 18v drills everyday, as well as hex wrenchs, drill bits, etc.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=meter
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Free digital mulitmeter PSA Empty Free digital mulitmeter PSA

Post by Gregg R. Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:32 am

The Harbor Freight code for the free DMM:  86344789-60404682394   Lots 90899/69069/98025

Also, free screwdrivers:   86345714-60404682394  Lots 62570 and others

But, there's more; free LED flashlight:  86345913-60404882394  Lots 69052 and others

Limit one FREE GIFT coupon per customer per day.

The screwdrivers are OK, the LED flashlight includes batteries, but is iffy; haven't tried the DMM. Harbor Freight claims $15 value, but I got a similar units from Parts-Express for $2.00 each.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am