The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Tube Storage

    Share

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 129
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Tube Storage

    Post by bluemeanies on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:05 am

    I have about a dozen to 15 extra tubes that are in there individual boxes and then on top of that in another bigger box.
    Does anyone know where there are storage boxes for vacuum tubes. One that can store those big output tubes.
    I seen some on the web but nothing that I liked...from cardboard to cheap plastic. Matter of fact the heavy duty cardboard looked better than the plastic.
    There was a nice container on TUBE DEPOT that held 18-20tubes with foam cushioning @$54.95 plus shipping but I wanted something a bit cheaper.

    Thanks


    Last edited by bluemeanies on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

    arledgsc

    Posts : 340
    Join date : 2012-11-30
    Location : SF Bay CA

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by arledgsc on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:41 am

    I've always wanted a "vacuum tube caddy". You can search Ebay as there are several examples that may fit your needs or give you ideas. If you can find the right foam that is removable in sections you could probably roll your own. I think Skizo here on the forum showed us a while back some pictures of his solution with removable, sectioned foam. But I need to do something as well as my tube collection is just thrown in a box.

    peterh

    Posts : 679
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by peterh on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:47 am

    bluemeanies wrote:I have about a dozen to 15 extra tubes that are in there individual boxes and then on top of that in another bigger box.
    Anal as I am at times this bothers me.
    Does anyone know where there are storage boxes for vacuum tubes. One that can store those big output tubes.
    I seen some on the web but nothing that I liked...from cardboard to cheap plastic. Matter of fact the heavy duty cardboard looked better than the plastic.
    There was a nice container on TUBE DEPOT that held 18-20tubes with foam cushioning @$54.95 plus shipping but I wanted something a bit cheaper.

    Thanks
    Any box or bag will do , and storage in dry hydrogen-free atmosphere.
    A note on the outside of the box/bag about it's contents will spare the tubes
    from repeated searches.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1336
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by deepee99 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:07 pm

    I use those large Tupperware-like tubs (L12"xW6"xD4") with sealing lids and segregate the tube-types by box. They come on sale at our local hardware store for a buck or two every now and then and are stackable.
    You can put about a dozen boxed KT-88/6550 sized tubes in just one of them and they are just transparent enough you can see what type tubes you've got in each box. I don't know if the sealed lids keep out hydrogen, though. Suppose a little bag of desiccant in each would be helpful to keep airborne moisture to a minimum.


    peterh

    Posts : 679
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by peterh on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:27 pm

    deepee99 wrote:I use those large Tupperware-like tubs (L12"xW6"xD4") with sealing lids and segregate the tube-types by box. They come on sale at our local hardware store for a buck or two every now and then and are stackable.
    You can put about a dozen boxed KT-88/6550 sized tubes in just one of them and they are just transparent enough you can see what type tubes you've got in each box. I don't know if the sealed lids keep out hydrogen, though. Suppose a little bag of desiccant in each would be helpful to keep airborne moisture to a minimum.

    Nope, plastic boxed does not keep hydrogen out, has nothing to do with lids.
    Make sure no hydrogen in the room ( battery charging for instance ). Hydriogen
    might, when exposed for longer periods, creep into tubes. Just like helium but that
    is rare. And we are talking about years of exposure ...

    We were talking about long-term storage ?

    deepee99

    Posts : 1336
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by deepee99 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm

    Peterh,
    Guess I missed the long-term part. I was just referring to storage for the average (maybe every year) tube-roller.
    No, obviously you wouldn't want to keep your tubes near a charging battery. I don't want an active battery-charger inside the house, for that matter, tubes or no, although I guess the LiOh batts in an iPhone kick out a bit of nastiness.
    I would think that ambient moisture would be of more immediate concern. The exposed metals in a tube are susceptible to oxidation, sulfidation and God knows what else.
    I'd like, out of idle curiosity, know the physics of the threat pure hydrogen poses. A charging battery emits H2S04, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be more worried about the sulphur.





    peterh

    Posts : 679
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by peterh on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:20 pm

    deepee99 wrote:Peterh,
    Guess I missed the long-term part. I was just referring to storage for the average (maybe every year) tube-roller.
    No, obviously you wouldn't want to keep your tubes near a charging battery. I don't want an active battery-charger inside the house, for that matter, tubes or no, although I guess the LiOh batts in an iPhone kick out a bit of nastiness.
    I would think that ambient moisture would be of more immediate concern. The exposed metals in a tube are susceptible to oxidation, sulfidation and God knows what else.
    I'd like, out of idle curiosity, know the physics of the threat pure hydrogen poses. A charging battery emits H2S04, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be more worried about the sulphur.




    Charging a lead-acid battery emits hydrogen and oxygen. If overcharging some h2so4 will
    be carried with the gases, this is commonly seen on top of lead-acid batteries and
    will cause harmful effects on battery poles.

    Yes moisture will affect pins and metal parts in a bad way. Corrosion under a
    plate-cap or around any connections that cross the glass might harm the glass and
    cause leakage, thus a dry environment is good. This will also save the carton boxes.

    octal tubes ( or anything that is soldered) will affect any remnants of resin, also causing corrosion.

    But again, most of these effects will be damaging in the long-term.

    Oh, i forgot, the effect of hydrogen ( and helium ) :
    it's small molecules, small enough to penetrate glass and especially the spaces
    between leads and glass. Helium is smallest, hydrogen next. Filling the tube
    with even small amounts of helium may cause flash-over since a portion of the
    space will be hydrogen ions ( atoms stripped of electrons), they will be
    attracted by the cathode and slowly hammer it's surface so to speak. In the worst
    case they will even cause flash-over, which often is deadly ( for tubes).


    Last edited by peterh on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hydrogen effects)

    audiobill

    Posts : 270
    Join date : 2014-03-13
    Location : Philadelphia

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by audiobill on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am

    Send them all to me for safekeeping......

    thompson12

    Posts : 18
    Join date : 2015-11-23
    Age : 55
    Location : Lehigh valley pa

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by thompson12 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:01 pm

    I use this for driver tubes

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Z8FNK4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00&tag=viglink20248-20

    Mitch

    tubes4hifi
    Admin

    Posts : 1292
    Join date : 2008-11-30

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by tubes4hifi on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:11 pm

    Mitch, nice box!
    I use an old 16x12x6" metal toolbox, very similar to this type of camera case . . .
    http://www.amazon.com/BRUBAKER-Aluminum-Digital-Camera-Padded/dp/B00JBC2BX2/ref=sr_1_34?
    for cheaper, something like this . . .
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-Metal-Tool-Box-Chest-w-Red-Plastic-Tray-16-W-x-7-D-x-7-5-H-/191822878436?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Tube Storage

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:42 am


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 am